You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 369195  

Print Page



© Mr G.W. Garthwaite LRPS

IoE Number: 369195
Location: CHURCH OF ST SILAS WITH ALL SAINTS, PENTON STREET (north side)
  ISLINGTON, ISLINGTON, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr G.W. Garthwaite LRPS
Date Photographed: 05 October 2005
Date listed: 29 September 1972
Date of last amendment: 30 September 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ISLINGTON TQ3183SW PENTON STREET 635-1/64/678 (North side) 29/09/72 Church of St Silas with All Saints (Formerly Listed as: PENTON STREET Church of St Silas) II Anglican church. 1860 by Samuel Sanders Teulon, completed 1863 by E.P.Loftus Brock; chancel added 1884. Kentish ragstone with dressings of stone, and white, yellow and red brick, roof of Welsh slate. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south-west tower. East end has three trefoiled lancets, the central one taller, and angle buttresses; pointed-arched entrance at east end of south aisle with engaged columns having foliage capitals, multi-moulded archivolt, original double doors, head of gauged white and yellow brick, and bracketed and gabled canopy. South aisle of six bays; five bays have one group of three lancets each under a pointed relieving arch, the tympanum filled with herringbone work in white and yellow brick, the second window from the east interrupted by a late C20 door. Offset above relieving arches; parapet interrupted by square, buttresslike piers with low pyramidal pinnacles, now apparently truncated. The clerestory windows are pointed-arched with two lancets below a rose, the rose exhibiting a different form of plate tracery in each window; the windows have heads of yellow brick, probably rebuilt and extending as springing bands, and rise above the parapet into their own gables. Two identical pointed-arched entrances, one occupying the westernmost bay of the south aisle and one beyond that: pointed arched entrance with engaged columns having foliage capitals and multi-moulded archivolt under hoodmould, head of gauged white and yellow brick, and a gable above each entrance, decorative in the case of the eastern entrance; pointed-arched doorcase with billet moulding to both entrances, original panelled door to left. The west end has three two-light lancets below blank quatrefoils, heads of gauged yellow brick which extend as sill and springing bands; two small outer lancets with bands of gauged yellow brick and a dripmould between them. Rose window in gable set in a spherical triangle of gauged yellow brick, the tracery of inventive geometrical form; lancet to apex of gable. South-west tower with two lancets to south, a band of white brick above with yellow brick diapering, stepped brick corbels to eaves, with red brick patterns between them, and pyramidal roof. INTERIOR: . Chancel of brick, painted, the rest of the interior plastered. Nave arcade of six bays; west gallery; some space at west end of nave enclosed in C20; wooden ceiling. Simple wooden pulpit in a Gothic style. (The Architectural Outsiders: Matthew Saunders: 'Samuel Teulon 1812-1873': London: 1985-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.