You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 369411  

Print Page



©  Peter Fuller

IoE Number: 369411
Location: THE MALL, ISLINGTON HIGH STREET
  ISLINGTON, ISLINGTON, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Peter Fuller
Date Photographed: 18 July 2000
Date listed: 19 April 1990
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ISLINGTONTQ3183SEUPPER STREET635-1/65/887(South East side)

ISLINGTON TQ3183SE UPPER STREET 635-1/65/887 (South East side) 19/04/90 No.359 The Mall GV II Includes: The Mall ISLINGTON HIGH STREET. Former electricity transformer station and tram depot, now shops and restaurant. 1905-6 by the LCC Architect's Department. Yellow brick set in English bond, stone dressings, roof of Welsh slate. The surviving building is a shed with entrances at either end. The elevation to Islington High Street is divided into three bays by rusticated piers, the rustication banded as throughout the building; the broad inner piers are on either side of the central round-arched entrance and are pierced by ground-floor and mezzanine flat-arched windows, the outer piers are in pairs, flanking round-arched windows with impost blocks; three flat-arched windows in each of the side bays. Moulded stone cornice; brick parapet with stone coping. The elevation to Upper Street, though almost blank, is the most important architecturally. Screen wall with rusticated piers at either end, and two pavilions which form a centrepiece with the intervening bay. Each pavilion contains a niche, with rusticated brickwork to the sides and archivolt and springing band of stone; in each niche a blank aedicule of stone with simplified mouldings; three small windows between the pavilions with flat arches and keystones of gauged brick, the two northern windows obscured by new brickwork. The moulded stone springing band runs the full length of the building, connecting to the end entrances, and running 'behind' the flanking piers. Moulded stone cornice with modillions over the pavilions; brick parapet with stone coping to the centrepiece. Metal ventilators along the ridge of the roof. The north and south elevations consist of a massive round arch with broad rusticated pilasters and stone archivolt; modillion cornice and parapet over. Several features of the building, notably the pavilions to the Upper Street front, blank walling and niches with aedicules, were influenced by, and are a tribute to, Newgate Prison by George Dance II, which was demolished in 1902.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.