You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 373698  

Print Page



© Mrs Colleen Cole LRPS

IoE Number: 373698
Location: INGATESTONE RAILWAY STATION, STATION LANE (north east side)
  INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING, BRENTWOOD, ESSEX
Photographer: Mrs Colleen Cole LRPS
Date Photographed: 03 September 1999
Date listed: 20 February 1976
Date of last amendment: 20 February 1976
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TQ6499 STATION LANE, Ingatestone 723-1/14/413 (North East side) 20/02/76 Ingatestone Railway Station (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD STATION LANE, Ingatestone Railway Station} II Railway station. 1846. For Eastern Counties Railway. Red brick English bond with black bricks in diaper patterns, and limestone dressings roofed with slate. Tudor Revival style. Arranged along the NW side of the railway line, entrance elevation to NW: (1) main range of one storey with external stack to front middle, and smaller stack in right gable end, (2) entrance porch to right, and lower single-storey block to rear with stack in right gable end, (3) 2-storey cross-wing with internal stack at the junction, (4) 2-storey range to left, most of which is a later rebuild or extension, with 2 stacks in the left end. All the main windows have chamfered stone surrounds. In the main range are 2 windows of 2 lights with cast-iron tracery in hexagon and diamond pattern. The cross-wing has on the ground floor a late C19 sash of 2 lights, with a severed mullion indicating that originally it was a pair of narrow sashes, and on the first floor a pair of sashes of 2 lights, less altered but not original. The left extension has on the ground floor one small casement of 2 lights with a segmental brick arch, and one small C20 casement. The entrance porch has stone jambs and 4-centred arch chamfered in 2 orders, and a moulded label. Inside and to left is the main entrance with chamfered stone jambs and 4-centred arch, boarded door and scrolled wrought-iron hinges. The diaper pattern covers all the brickwork except the external stack, which has shoulders of black brick. In the gable of the cross-wing the date 1846 is picked out in black bricks. Stone copings and moulded kneelers. The cross-wing is rendered to a height of O.70m. Perforated ridge tiles on main range. To left of the cross-wing is a 4-panel door, the upper panels glazed, with plain fanlight and chamfered stone dressings and 4-centred arch. Immediately to left of it the black diaper pattern ceases, and red bricks of different quality are bonded in. The left gable end has on the first floor a sash of 2 lights, and a sash similar to that in the cross-wing, of different heights, probably re-set. Similar copings and kneelers, incomplete diaper pattern at top rear of gable. The SE elevation (towards the platform) has in the main range a window of 3 lights with original cast-iron tracery in the middle fixed light, and 2 replaced wooden casements, with chamfered stone surround; and a fixed light with chamfered stone jambs and 4-centred arch and cast-iron tracery in hexagons and diamonds. Beyond the cross-wing is a C20 casement in original stone surround. Renovation in progress at time of inspection, May 1989.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.