© Mr John H. Sparkes
3 AND 5 CASTLE STREET (south side)
BRIDGWATER, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Mr John H. Sparkes
27 March 2007
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
31 January 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST2937SE CASTLE STREET
736-1/10/18 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.3 AND 5)
House now offices, one property with No.5 (qv) to the right.
Early C18. Probably by Benjamin Holloway. Flemish-bond red and
yellow brick, stone plinth capping, painted stone dressings,
C20 double Roman tile roof continuous with No.5.
3-unit plan. 3 storeys; 4-window range. Segmental arches to
the windows. C20 railings and steps up to the door to right of
centre, it has 6 raised and fielded panels, long panels to the
top, the smallest to the centre, under a C20 timber hood and
flanked by tapering Tuscan pilasters with blocking. Outer
windows to the upper floors have moulded architraves and
cills, 6/6-pane sashes with thick glazing bars and some crown
glass. Windows to the ground-floor left are similar but with
plate glass to the lower sashes. To the right of the door is
an early C19 shallow canted bay with an 8/1-pane sash window.
The windows to both floors above the door have painted
rusticated stone arches and jambs, the size of the stones
corresponding to the size of the bricks and similar to those
over the door of No.1 (qv) to the left.
INTERIOR: the room to the left has full-height panelling
without mouldings, a small box cornice and ovolo moulding to
the glazing bars. The first-floor room above has raised and
fielded full-height panelling with horizontal panels over the
diagonal corner fireplace and below the windows, a box
cornice, shutters and 4 raised and fielded panels and L hinges
to the door. The room to the ground-floor right has heavy
plain panelling below a simple dado. The back of the front
door is heavily planked with full-width wrought-iron hinges
and a huge lock.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset:
London: 1958-: 100; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of
British Architects 1660-1840: London: 1978-: 428; VCH:
Somerset: London: 1992-: 200).