© Michael Bass
NO 9 AND ATTACHED REAR WALLS AND OUTHOUSE, 9 CASTLE STREET (south side)
BRIDGWATER, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
19 December 2002
24 March 1950
Date of last amendment:
31 January 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST2937SE CASTLE STREET
736-1/10/24 (South side)
and attached rear walls and outhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
House. 1723-1728. For James Brydges, Duke of Chandos. By
Benjamin Holloway or Fort and Shepherd, the Duke's London
surveyors. Flemish-bond Bridgwater brick with red headers and
yellow stretchers, painted stone cornice, architraves,
doorcase and hood, plain tile roof with brick stacks to party
walls. Double-depth plan.
3 storeys with basements; symmetrical 5-window range. The
moulded coping to the rebuilt parapet and the substantial
cornice sweep up to the right to meet those of No 11 (qv).
Brick platbands between floors, cyma-moulded segmental-arched
architraves with moulded cills and brackets to 6/6-pane sash
windows, some with crown glass. C20 six-panel door in a
cyma-moulded architrave with moulded cornice and brackets.
The rear of the house was extended c1840; the Flemish-bond red
brick rear wall has flat gauged brick arches; 3/3-pane sash
windows to the second floor and a 6/6-pane tripartite sash to
the first floor which opens onto a wrought and cast-iron
balcony. The back door has 6 beaded panels.
INTERIOR: an outer hall has panelling below a dado rail and a
late C19 door glazed to the top with coloured margin panes;
room to right has full-height raised-and-fielded panelling
with a wide dado rail and cyma-moulded cornice, some panelling
has been removed from rear wall. A simple stone fire surround
is curved at the inner corners.
A semicircular arch leads to the rear stair hall which has
raised-and-fielded panelling below the dado rail of the stair
wall and late C18 open-string stairs with stick balusters,
mahogany handrail and panelled newel.
The rooms to first-floor rear are of early/mid C19 character;
that to right has a white marble fire-surround with reeded
lintel and jambs and blocks to the corners; the architraves to
the door are similar with fasces to the lintel and jambs and
patera to the corner blocks. Room to rear left has a
semi-elliptical arch to the former rear wall and a 10/10-pane
sash window to the c1840 wall. Room to first-floor front has
cupboard door with 2 raised-and-fielded panels flanking the
chimney breast. Room to second-floor right has wide pine floor
boards and a planked door with wrought-iron strap hinges.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a Flemish-bond brick wall approx 3m high
encloses a garden approx 20m square; attached to the left is a
mid C19 two-storey service block with 8/8-pane sash windows.
The terraces of houses in Castle Street form an important
group, unusual for their scale and ambition outside London's
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset:
London: 1958-: 100; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of
British Architects 1660-1840: London: 1978-: 428; VCH:
Somerset: London: 1992-: 200).