You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 373958  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 373958
Location: WARES WAREHOUSE (BRIDGWATER DOCK), NORTHGATE (west side)
  BRIDGWATER, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 04 April 2007
Date listed: 06 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIDGWATERST2937NORTHGATE736-1/5/144(West side)

BRIDGWATER ST2937 NORTHGATE 736-1/5/144 (West side) 06/06/73 Wares Warehouse (Bridgwater Dock) GV II Warehouse, converted for residential and commercial use in 1980s. 1840-1850. Possibly by Thomas Maddicks, engineer of the docks. Flemish-bond brick, limestone coping to the parapet, cornice band, quoins, cills to loading bays and rusticated plinth. Double-pitched hipped slate roof articulated by parapets of 4 fire-walls. Rectangular plan. 4 storeys; 15-window range to the north-east facade facing the dock. 5 similar bays each have a recess to centre with full-width cambered arches and stone cill bands to former loading bays on each floor, these now have C20 French windows with railings. To each side are slit windows. On the cornice band, above each recess are hoods on brackets. The left return has C20 two-light casement windows. The south-east facade has 4 bays, similar in most ways to front except that the French windows below the hoods on brackets are not in recesses and are flanked by C20 flat concrete arches to 2-light casement windows. INTERIOR: ground floor is occupied by a restaurant, gymnasium and offices, upper floors are apartments. History: Built in 1841 when the dock was finished, the warehouse had only 3 bays, 2 were added later. It is possible that the bricks were made of clay from the dock basin and fired in a brickworks set up by the Canal Company to use the spoil from the excavations. (Murless B J: Bridgwater Docks and the River Parrett: Bridgwater: 1983-: 15).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.