You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 374010  

Print Page



© Mr John Bjergfelt

IoE Number: 374010
Location: TOWN BRIDGE, TOWN BRIDGE
  BRIDGWATER, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Bjergfelt
Date Photographed: 25 February 2002
Date listed: 16 December 1974
Date of last amendment: 16 December 1974
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRIDGWATERST3037TOWN BRIDGE736-1/6/193Town Bridge

BRIDGWATER ST3037 TOWN BRIDGE 736-1/6/193 Town Bridge 16/12/74 GV II Town bridge. Dated 1883. By R C Else and G B Laffan and made by George Moss of Liverpool. Rough ashlar limestone abutments, Ham Hill stone piers, steel girders with cast-iron railings, lamps and plaques. 7 segmental arches with diagonal trellised spandrels support the single span road bridge with tarmac suface flanked by pavements. To the centre of the outside arches plaques with the town crest and the inscription "Erected 1883. W T Holland, Mayor." The rectangular-section piers to each corner have recessed panels and moulded cornices to shallow-pitched tops. 12 sections of railings between the piers and 2 sections curving away to the sides are articulated by cast-iron columns with a spiral moulding. The railings are joined in pairs by semicircular arches, reversed to the base, which are linked to the handrail and plinth, each pair is linked at impost level, and by a central horizontal rail with spikes above and below, to the centre of each pair. The 4 columns at the extremities are octagonal with recessed panels and pyramidal tops. On the piers are C20 restored cast-iron lamps, and the central columns of the railings have bases to former lamps. The original stone bridge was replaced by one cast in Coalbrookdale in 1797, which was replaced by the present structure. (VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 195).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.