You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 374108  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Bland ARPS

IoE Number: 374108
Location: THE GUILDHALL, FORE STREET (south side)
  CHARD TOWN, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Richard Bland ARPS
Date Photographed: 01 September 1999
Date listed: 24 March 1950
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHARDST3308FORE STREET756-1/4/80(South side)

CHARD ST3308 FORE STREET 756-1/4/80 (South side) 24/03/50 The Guildhall GV II* Former Corn Exchange and Guildhall, now Town Hall. 1834. Ham Hill stone ashlar; slate roof. T-shape plan. Classical style. 2 storeys, symmetrical 5-window range: central 3 set forward under 2-storey hexastyle Doric portico with continuous plinth forming low wall to loggia; columns to far left and right are closer and this articulation is reflected below and on the facade of the 1st floor, where Doric pilasters separate the windows. The ground floor has a double row of Tuscan columns and entablature, with a C20 facade to entrance. To the far left and right, double doors are set in semi-circular arches with banded rustication to surrounds. All windows have moulded architraves with cornices and consoles. Surmounting the dentilled pediment is a substantial domed cupola with clocks to 3 sides below. INTERIOR: remodelled c1970, except for the council chamber and mayor`s parlour on the first floor. The parlour is the rear arm of the T-plan; it has a high panelled plaster ceiling, chamfered, similar to coved; a glazed ceramic fireplace, dado-rail and high skirting boards; 5-panel doors with a horizontal panel to the centre and a tripartite sash with margin-panes to the rear. The council chamber, to the centre front, is articulated by pilasters with recessed panels; it has high skirting boards and deep segmental-arched recesses to each end, that to the rear with a dais and original mahogany bench, now painted; heavy plaster cornice; tall 6-panel doors with applied mouldings, have moulded architraves with cornices. The Corporation Minute book has entries dated 1833 resolving that the early C16 Guildhall be taken down and erected in a more convenient place. (Collinson J: History of Somerset: London: 1791-: P.461).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.