You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 374175  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Bland ARPS

IoE Number: 374175
Location: BAPTIST CHURCH, HOLYROOD STREET (east side)
  CHARD TOWN, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Richard Bland ARPS
Date Photographed: 24 February 2001
Date listed: 24 March 1950
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CHARDST3308HOLYROOD STREET756-1/4/146(East side)

CHARD ST3308 HOLYROOD STREET 756-1/4/146 (East side) 24/03/50 Baptist Church GV II* Church. Dated 1842. Ham Hill stone ashlar facade, rubblestone and brick rear; slate roof. Single room plan with later C19 school rooms to rear. Greek Revival style. 2 storeys, symmetrical one-window range; substantial plinth and 4 rounded steps up to 8-panel double-door set in moulded architrave under cornice supported by consoles; above is a large semicircular-arched window with cast-iron glazing bars, framed by Doric pilasters and a small pediment with antefixae. This is flanked by 2 pairs of full-height Doric pilasters supporting a cornice and pediment which almost spans the facade and bears the raised carved date MDCCCXLII. The ground floor has banded rustication between plinth and a platband above level of the door. INTERIOR: east end has round-arched recess over semicircular-arched cast-iron window with late C19 red and blue glass borders above a substantial pulpit raised on 2 octagonal columns which fan out to support a curved-fronted platform; original 1842 stairs with stick balusters and mahogany rail; balusters to front are of late C19 cast-iron bamboo design. 4-panel doors set in reeded architraves each side of pulpit. East end has incised key pattern to panelling. Gallery to other 3 sides is supported by cast-iron pillars and has cast-iron windows above and original pews; windows below were replaced in 1988. A very fine and complete example. (Stell C: Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in SW England: London: 1991-: P.171).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.