You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 374196  

Print Page



© Ms Mary Allison

IoE Number: 374196
Location: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH HILL (east side)
  NEWHAVEN, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Mary Allison
Date Photographed: 28 October 2004
Date listed: 20 May 1949
Date of last amendment: 20 May 2049
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NEWHAVENTQ4401SWCHURCH HILL769-1/7/6(East side)

NEWHAVEN TQ4401SW CHURCH HILL 769-1/7/6 (East side) 20/05/49 Church of St Michael and All Angels GV II* Parish church. Norman tower and apse, broached spire added subsequently, N aisle added c1795, aisle and nave lengthened 1810, vestry added 1825, S aisle and S-E porch erected 1854 when church refitted and W gallery built, west porch added 1961 and church restored. (The latter was then linked by a covered walkway to the coeval flat-roofed church rooms - not of special interest.) Mid C19 work by William Gilbert Habershon. Knapped flint, stone dressings, cement render to C19 window openings, tiled roofs, wooden shingled spire. Plan: W porch, 5-bay nave, N and S aisles, S-E porch in angle with E tower, apse on E face. Single-storey apse, pilaster buttresses rising to dentil eaves, remains of string course with dentil moulding below E end lancet window, later lancets to N and S faces; 2-storey tower with broached spire, gargoyles on corbel table below eaves, moulded string course upon which rests 2-lightbell-openings, the E window just above roof ridge of apse, N window has original shaft with shaft ring. S-E porch double doors with ornamental hinges; S front alternate lancets and 2-light windows, W end with three 2-light windows and single-storey porch entered on S front through glazed door, bull's eye window on W front, buttressed N front with butt-joint marking aisle extension, alternate lancet and 2-light windows, flat-roofed vestry with C20 arched-head window. Interior: rendered, nave and aisles mid C19. Open timber tie-beam roofto S aisle, scissor-brace roof to N aisle, moulded wall-plate toeastern bays of nave, possibly remaining from earlier building. Timberposts to 5-bay Tudor-arch head arcades with pierced quatrefoilspandrels. W face of tower arch: plain round-arched opening with 2orders of columns altered by inserted entablature, similar on outer faceto apse, but inner faces roll-moulded and ornamented with scallopedcapitals; unmoulded transverse beams to ceiling; S tower windowround-arched head with deep splays, N window larger and formerly adoor. Apse: window openings resting on string course, pointed lancetsN and S, central round arch lancet at east end with deep splays;simple crown-post roof on tie-beam. Wooden organ gallery runs the lengthof the W end with trefoil-headed arcade decoration. Organ by Batesand Son of Ludgate Hill, London, c1854. Mid C19 fittings including fontwith cover, pulpit, brass lecturn, elegant brass gas-mantel brackets(converted to electricity), late C19 stained glass in apse and tower.Turned oak altar rails presented 1961. A rare example of an E towerwith apsidal end. This was the parish church of Meeching, set on thehillside above the River Ouse; the river subsequently altered its courseafter a great storm in 1570 and Meeching became Newhaven with the growthof the port in the C17. (Buildings of England: Nairn I: Sussex: 1965-; Anon: The Parish Church of St Michael, Newhaven; Sussex Directory: 1895-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.