You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 374203  

Print Page



© Ms Mary Allison

IoE Number: 374203
Location: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, HEIGHTON ROAD
  NEWHAVEN, LEWES, EAST SUSSEX
Photographer: Ms Mary Allison
Date Photographed: 24 September 2004
Date listed: 20 May 1949
Date of last amendment: 20 May 2049
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NEWHAVENTQ4502HEIGHTON ROAD, Denton769-1/5/19Church of St Leonard

NEWHAVEN TQ4502 HEIGHTON ROAD, Denton 769-1/5/19 Church of St Leonard 20/05/49 GV II* Parish church. C13, possibly containing earlier work, embellished and Ewindow added C14, reroofed. restored and vestry added mid-late C19, porch added early C20. Knapped flint, stone dressings, angle buttresses to S corner of chancel, tiled roof, weather-boarded bell-turret. Plan: nave and chancel undivided, bell-turret W end, S porch. W end 3-light window, bell-turret above; S front medieval lancet window, timber-framed porch with mid-C20 door, 2-light windows with rendered surrounds flanking C20 wooden-framed arch-headed window, rood-stair projection with with stair-light adjoining; 4-light Decorated E window; N front 2-light window, vestry with late C20 door on E front, 2-light Tudor arch-headed window, 4-light on W front, 2-light window by blocked N door, lancet beyond. Interior: rendered. Open king-post roof with boarded soffits to chancel. Undivided nave and chancel. Depressed 4-centred arch opening to roodstair opening above, stair extant. Deep splay to window opening with inserted C20 wooden-framed window to E of rood stair. Ogee-headed sedilia with quatrefoil-headed piscina with gabled top. C19-C20 doorway to vestry with lancet beside. Fine Norman font said to be identical to that in St Annes, Lewes; basket weave body with rosettes between narrowbands above, plaited strips below. C19 fittings; stained glass in Ewindow by Kempe, datwed 1897, given in memory of Miss Catt, the principal landowner in Denton who also built the local school (not included). (Buildings of England: Nairn I: Sussex: 1965-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.