You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 378488  

Print Page



© Mr GW Tanner ARPS

IoE Number: 378488
Location: MOLINEUX HOTEL, MOLINEUX STREET (west side)
  WOLVERHAMPTON, WOLVERHAMPTON, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr GW Tanner ARPS
Date Photographed: 05 September 2001
Date listed: 16 July 1949
Date of last amendment: 16 July 2049
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WOLVERHAMPTONSO9198NWMOLINEUX STREET895-1/11/270(West side)

WOLVERHAMPTON SO9198NW MOLINEUX STREET 895-1/11/270 (West side) 16/07/49 Molineux Hotel GV II* House, hotel from 1860s, derelict at time of resurvey (1990). c1720 with mid C18 additions and C19 addition; in course of restoration, 1990. For Benjamin Molineux, ironmaster. Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roof, mostly removed, with brick stacks. 3 storeys; 5-window range; 2-window range to right; 2-storey 3-window range to left. Central range has platt bands over ground and 1st floors; top cornice, most removed; quoins. Windows have rusticated wedge lintels with keystones; most windows boarded, some remaining 12-pane sashes. Central entrance has plain surround and scrolled brackets to missing hood. Roof has end stacks and early c1875 clock turret. Range to right has similar windows to 1st and 2nd floors; inserted entrance. Range to left has quoins and cornice; similar windows. C19 two-storey 3-window range to left return has similar details; brick cornice and coped gable. 4-window range to right return has right half breaking forward; platt band over ground floor and top modillioned cornice with stone-coped parapet; windows have rubbed brick flat arches with keystones; Venetian window to ground floor. Details of right return continued to 6-window rear range; recessed entrance bay; Venetian window to ground floor to left of round-headed entrance with keystone, panelled pilasters, frieze and consoled pediment; 3-bay range projects to right; rubbed brick flat arches to windows, one to ground floor round-headed. INTERIOR has good contemporary open-string stair with 3 thin twisted balusters to each tread, most missing; ground-floor room to right has Rococo style plaster wall panelling and ceiling, Adam-style fireplace; Oak Room has fine contemporary wooden panelling with Corinthian pilasters; another room has wooden panelling. The grounds were opened to the public in 1860, and was Wolverhampton's first public park.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.