You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 378634  

Print Page



© Mr GW Tanner ARPS

IoE Number: 378634
Location: LOW LEVEL STATION, WEDNESFIELD ROAD (south side)
  WOLVERHAMPTON, WOLVERHAMPTON, WEST MIDLANDS
Photographer: Mr GW Tanner ARPS
Date Photographed: 09 October 2001
Date listed: 25 March 1986
Date of last amendment: 25 March 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WOLVERHAMPTONSO99NWWEDNESFIELD ROAD895-1/5/353(South side)

WOLVERHAMPTON SO99NW WEDNESFIELD ROAD 895-1/5/353 (South side) 25/03/86 Low Level Station GV II Railway station. 1853-4; enlarged 1869; altered 1899 and 1933-34. Station building designed by John Fowler. For the Worcester, Oxford and Wolverhampton Railway, the Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Dudley Railway and the Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway. Main station building: blue engineering bricks, ashlar dressings and features, slate roofs. Originally a symmetrical design in an Italianate style; central 2-storey, 5-bay, block with a single storey, 7-bay, wing set back to either side, each terminated by a projecting 2-storey, 3-bay, pavilion with hipped roof. The north west wing was heightened to 2 storeys after 1869. The facade of the central block has 3-bay centre breaking forward under pediment pierced by a lunette window. Bays defined by rusticated stone pilasters with top frieze and cornice; 1st floor sill band. 3 central round-arched entrances to booking hall have moulded architraves, keystones and radial-bar fanlights; flanking paired round-headed windows with bracketed sills and cornices; 1st floor has 3 round-headed windows in stone frames with consoled stone pediments; flanking bays have paired round-headed windows with pediments. Return lateral stacks. The bays of side wings are defined by rusticated stone pilasters; stone-coped brick parapets; the wider central bay to each wing contains cariage way entry, archivolt on imposts with vermiculated keystone; otherwise a window to each bay with eared architrave on bracketed sill. A moulded corbel on each pilaster of wings and central block supported former external canopy. The end pavilions have 1st floor sill bands, top friezes and cornices with blocking courses stepped up to centre; stone quoins; framed arched windows under consoled pediments, similar windows to 1st floor have keystones, not pediments. Return lateral stacks; all stacks restored in late 1980s. Windows of 1853 have timber casements or fixed lights, vertical external metal bars to some ground floor windows; later windows are sashed with glazing bars; most boarded at time of resurvey (1990). INTERIOR (inspected 1986): full-height booking hall in central block, 2-storey elevation; paired Doric pilasters to lower level and paired Ionic pilasters above defining bays containing arched openings with keystones; left side of hall now blocked off and architectural detail mutilated; coved ceiling with roof lights. The platform elevation has a brick plinth; doors and windows to waiting rooms, restaurant and offices with Italianate details. Some original features in several rooms. Station was originally served by mixed broad and standard gauge tracks but broad gauge eliminated after 1869. A length of broad gauge track visible at north end of the platform. 3 K6 type telephone call boxes on platform. Great Western Railway and platform and tracks covered by a glazed roof replaced after 1930 by platform verandahs on cast-iron columns. Later, the platforms linked by bridge with 1933-4 luggage lifts. The station was a terminus for the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway. Passanger Rail services ceased in 1972. (Railways Magazine: Perkins TR: The Railways of Wolverhampton: 1952-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.