You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 378843  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Clark LRPS

IoE Number: 378843
Location: ST JOHN'S PLACE, APSLEY ROAD (south side)
Photographer: Mr Peter Clark LRPS
Date Photographed: 03 September 2001
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5774 APSLEY ROAD, Clifton 901-1/34/689 (South side) 04/03/77 St John's Place (Formerly Listed as: APSLEY ROAD Church of St John with St Anselm) II Church, now offices. 1841. By John Hicks. Chancel 1864 by SB Gabriel. Squared Brandon Hill Grit rubble with limestone dressings, limestone ashlar towers and pantile roof. Cruciform plan with twin W towers. Perpendicular Gothic Revival style. Shallow, crenellated E gable has diagonal buttresses and a 6-light window with panel tracery and lamb stops, and flowers carved in the drip. N chancel window has 2 lights in a 4-centred arch; the gabled N transept has an arched doorway with Tudor flowers to the mouldings, diagonally set buttress pinnacles either side with angel capitals and a crocketed ogee hood, and a 4-light window above; the transept W window and those in the 4-bay nave are narrow with 3 lights and a transom in 4-centred arches; the W bay forms the base of the tower. Similar S elevation has a late C19 vestry against the chancel, with 1- and 3-light flat-headed windows. The W front is flanked by 2-stage towers with diagonal buttresses, arched W doorways with casement mouldings and head stops, and 2-light windows to the side elevations; second-stage paired lancets have linked, stilted hoods, and dragon corbels between them to diagonal buttress pinnacles which rise through a plain parapet, with crocketed corner pinnacles; 2-stage openwork turrets have narrow cinquefoil windows and crenellated tops; the W front is set back, with an arched doorway in a label mould with dragons in the spandrels and lancets each side; above is a 4-light Perpendicular window in a crenellated gable containing a crocketed niche with a statue. INTERIOR not inspected. Converted to offices and auction rooms in 1990. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 293; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.