You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 378953  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Atkinson

IoE Number: 378953
Location: QUEEN ELIZABETH'S HOSPITAL, BERKELEY PLACE (east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Peter Atkinson
Date Photographed: 27 March 2005
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 04 March 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5773SEBERKELEY PLACE901-1/9/8(East side)

BRISTOL ST5773SE BERKELEY PLACE 901-1/9/8 (East side) 04/03/77 Queen Elizabeth's Hospital II School, now hospital. 1844-47. By Thomas Foster and Son. Squared red rubble with limestone dressings, limestone ashlar lateral stacks, roof not visible. Axial, single-depth plan. Tudor Gothic Revival style. 3 storeys; 19-window range, with 2-storey, 5-window wings extending at each end. A symmetrical front and near-identical rear elevation, built along a falling site making the ground floor a basement from the rear. 1:6:1:3:1:6:1 windows, the central 4-storey, 5-window entrance block breaks forward, the middle section twice, square 4-storey towers to each corner, all with battered ground floors. A moulded band to the ground floor, first-floor string, continuous drip moulds, second-floor cornice with carved heads and flowers, and an ashlar parapet, crenellated to the 4-storey sections. The main entrance has a Tudor-arched doorway set in a rectangular moulded frame with recessed spandrels, carved label stops and a 2-leaf ribbed door. The end towers have tall, flat 2-centred arched doorways with 4 cinquefoil-headed overlights above flat-headed 2-leaf doors. Cross windows with early C20 metal casements; some original cast-iron casements with small lattice panes to the rear. Shallow 2-centred arched ground-floor windows, upper floors have flat-headed windows, with Tudor-arched lights. The central block has cinquefoil-headed lights, a canted 2-storey 4-light oriel to the centre with moulded base and crenellated top, narrow flanking windows, outer first-floor canted 2-light oriel and a cross window above; the third floor has a central cross window and flanking single-light windows. The wings have first-floor cross windows and 3-storey square towers at the ends. 2 lateral stacks to each side behind the parapet at the front have 3 square stacks each linked by a crenellated cornice, and further chimney ranges to each side of the central block. Steeply-gabled ends with ashlar parapets. INTERIOR: details include a large entrance stair hall with Tudor arches to each side, 5 to the axial passage, an open-well stair round the sides with openwork tracery balustrade, a large panelled octagonal newel with ogee-domed top and the base of the stair, and a timber roof with bosses. Originally single full-length teaching and dormitory rooms each side, now all divided except first-floor left hand, with arch-braced tie beam roofs; Tudor-arched doorways with panelled doors. HISTORICAL NOTE: founded by John Carr in 1586. The present building makes early use of internal structural cast-iron beams and stanchions to support the floors. A Salvinesque composition making use of a spectacular site. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, an Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 299; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 10).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.