You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 378965  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 378965
Location: GLENSIDE HOSPITAL, BLACKBERRY HILL (north east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 09 December 2000
Date listed: 25 April 1990
Date of last amendment: 25 April 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST6276BLACKBERRY HILL, Fishponds901-1/30/1260(North East side)

BRISTOL ST6276 BLACKBERRY HILL, Fishponds 901-1/30/1260 (North East side) 25/04/90 Glenside Hospital GV II Mental hospital. 1861. By Henry Crisp. Subsequent additions by Crisp and Oatley. Squared, snecked Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and slate hipped and gabled roofs, stone stacks with cornices. Pavilion plan with central administration block, rear recreation hall and additions to N and NW. Italianate style. Central block 3-storey; 5-window range. Rusticated quoin strips, plat bands on each floor with deep corbelled eaves. 2-storey canted bays either side of the central round-arched doorway, with deep, scrolled brackets to the balustrade. Plate-glass sash windows with segmental heads, round-arched on the middle of the first floor, with ovolo mouldings under the arches. Behind is a wide hall, beneath a clock tower with clasping pilasters, 3-light louvred belfry windows, clocks to each face and a shallow leaded roof. Symmetrical wings, with 2 long, forward projections. The 2-storey side ranges have central gables with a 3-storey tower to the eaves with pyramidal roofs. The projections end in gables flanked by squat towers; the inner ones have a central blind round arch, with segmental-headed ground-floor, and round-arched first-floor windows; the outer gables are similar but wider. Tall square laundry chimney to the rear left. Later blocks in a similar style. INTERIOR: recreation hall, now staff dining room, with a coffered ceiling and waggon vault and a balcony on scrolled brackets, and open-well stair in the administration block with turned balusters and square newels. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as the Bristol Lunatic Asylum, and enlarged in stages; the spaces between the wings were enclosed gardens. The pavilion plan was a characteristic feature of asylum design by 1861.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.