© Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
CLIFTON SUSPENSION BRIDGE, CLIFTON DOWN
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mrs Joy Roddy LRPS
13 October 1999
08 January 1959
Date of last amendment:
08 January 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5673SE CLIFTON DOWN, Clifton
901-1/7/750 Clifton Suspension Bridge
Suspension bridge. Designed 1829-31. By IK Brunel. Started
1836, stopped 1840 when the pylons were completed, resumed
1861 and completed 1864 by J Hawkshaw and WH Barlow. Red
sandstone ashlar abutments with Pennant walls, squared Pennant
rubble pylons with limestone dressings, and wrought-iron
Massive square abutments support pylons with battered fronts
and backs, canted half-way up the sides, to deep coved
cornices; segmental-arched vehicle arches with parabolic
arches above, the E pylon has narrow pointed-arched side
openings. Triple chains alternately support cables to timber
deck with cast-iron lattice railings, and extend back to
anchor points at each end.
HISTORICAL NOTE: work was abandoned on Brunel's
competition-winning entry when the capital was expended, and
completed without much of the intended Egyptian decoration
after his death had encouraged the raising of the necessary
funds, by Hawkshaw and Barlow. The original chains were taken
to his Royal Saltash Bridge, and those used came from his
earlier but demolished Hungerford Bridge.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 343-6; Crick C: Victorian Buildings
in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 14).