You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379319  

Print Page

© Mr John Leaver

IoE Number: 379319
Photographer: Mr John Leaver
Date Photographed: 16 March 2006
Date listed: 01 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5673NE COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton 901-1/1/825 (North East side) 01/11/66 Clifton College, Big School (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE ROAD, Clifton Clifton College Big School, School House and Wilson Tower) GV II Hall. 1862. By Charles Hansom. Snecked Brandon Hill Grit with limestone dressings, gable and lateral stacks and a slate roof. Single-depth plan forming the SW side to a quadrangle. Collegiate Tudor Gothic Revival style. 3 storeys; 10-window range. 2-centred arched windows, on the ground floor with a shallow arch, tall on the upper floors with 2 transoms; separated by buttresses, to a stepped crenellated parapet, with 2 large lateral stacks set in crow-stepped gables. The steep roof has a row of 10 louvred, gabled dormers below the ridge. Square stair tower at the left end; gable stack to left-hand gable. Right-hand gable has 2 ground-floor windows separated by a buttress, a large 7-light upper window with Perpendicular tracery, and finial. Diagonally-set stacks with linked cornices. Attached parallel 2-storey block to the NE side facing the quadrangle has steep gables, and 3 bays, the central one blind, under a gable with a large lateral stack. INTERIOR: stone dogleg stairs, inserted floor at gallery height of former hall, which has an arch-braced roof with quatrefoils through the braces, and crenellated corbels. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 320; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 419).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.