You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379388  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 379388
Location: NUMBERS 1 AND 1A AND ATTACHED REAR BASEMENT AREA RAILINGS, FRONT TERRACE AND BALUSTRADE, 1 1A CORNWALLIS CRESCENT (south east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 April 2002
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5672NE CORNWALLIS CRESCENT, Clifton 901-1/13/834 (South East side) 08/01/59 Nos.1, 1A AND 2-23 (Consecutive) and attached rear basement area railings, front terrace and balustrade (Formerly Listed as: CORNWALLIS CRESCENT Nos.1A AND 1-23 (Consecutive)) GV II* Terrace of 24 houses. Begun 1791. Possibly designed by William Paty. Work stopped 1793, completed 1827. Limestone ashlar front, rear of render over brick with limestone dressings, party wall stacks and slate mansard half-hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. A concave terrace with an ashlar garden front articulated by giant pilasters to modillion cornice and parapet, and banded ground floor with incised voussoirs to a plat band; Nos 1, 21 & 22 step forward. 6/9-pane first-floor sashes, 6/6-panes the rest and various dormers. Projecting vaulted basement forms a full-width terrace with a rusticated front with large semicircular arches, and balustrade. First-floor tented balconies with wrought-iron pointed-arched railings and flat lattice stanchions; missing from Nos 4 & 8. Rear entrance elevation has right-hand entrances with Ionic pilasters, entablature and cornice, semicircular-arched doorways with plate-glass fanlights and 6-panel doors with reeded bottom panels and corners cut from raised upper ones. No.23 is 1-window range with 3-window left return and an early C19 two-storey porch with a modillion cornice, a semicircular-arched doorway with architrave and a good teardrop fanlight with a lantern. 5 stepped voussoirs to 6/6-pane sashes; 2 dormers. No.1A is 2 storeys, ashlar front and rendered rear as the rest, with a 3-storey end entrance block with ground-floor pilasters with incised Greek key, semicircular-arched openings to the doorway, 2 first-floor windows, blocked to the left, and single one above. INTERIOR: entrance halls with a rear open dogleg stair with stick balusters, banded, wreathed rail and curtail; full-width front rooms; reeded architraves to 6-panel doors, panelled shutters, and panelled double doors between ground-floor rooms. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rear basement area wrought-iron railings with urn finials; attached ashlar wall and railings extends from No.23 approx 30m E and S, with ashlar piers and wrought-iron gates. Planned as part of a much longer terrace including Nos 29-40 (qv). During the hiatus caused by the bankruptcy of the developers in 1793, a right of way was formed between the 2 sections. 'One of the most ambitious schemes undertaken during the heyday of speculative building in Bristol... ' (Ison). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 219; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 231).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.