You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379978  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 379978
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, MANOR ROAD (south side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 24 January 2001
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 04 March 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST67NWMANOR ROAD, Fishponds901-1/54/1272(South side)

BRISTOL ST67NW MANOR ROAD, Fishponds 901-1/54/1272 (South side) 04/03/77 Church of St Mary II Church. 1821. Extended chancel and N aisle c1860. Snecked Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and ashlar broach spire, and tiled roof. Apsed nave with W tower and N aisle. Perpendicular Gothic Revival style. Curved apse and side apses, with 7 pointed windows and chamfered reveals; ashlar eaves and decorative ridges. 4-bay N aisle divided by buttresses, with 5-light windows and plate tracery; in the W end, the window is half blocked, and a doorway brought forward between the buttresses. Linked vestry at the E end with 3-light windows, impost band and small 7-foil rose window. 3-bay S side of nave has 4-centred arched 3-light windows, within similar ashlar relieving arches on pilasters. 2-stage tower, flanked by low, slate-roofed narthex, has deeply weathered string, cornice, and diagonal buttresses; a 4-centre arched W door and hood, with a clock above, quatrefoil-headed windows on the N and S sides, and narrow windows to the belfry, with stone louvres and sunken panels; ashlar weathering course leads back into a steep octagonal spire, with louvred lucarnes near the bottom and smaller ones near the top; weather vane and cock. INTERIOR: 2-bay chancel divided by open arches each side, on a round respond to the E, coupled shafts in the middle and thick shaft at the nave end, with stiff-leaf capitals. 7-light window with colonnettes. 4-bay nave arcade ends with an inverted conical corbel at the W end, and has pointed arches, round piers with capitals, and hoods with floral stops. Organ raised above the W door; traces of W gallery. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 292).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.