You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 379982  

Print Page



© Ms Ruth Povey

IoE Number: 379982
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, MARINERS DRIVE (west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Ms Ruth Povey
Date Photographed: 18 March 2007
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 04 March 1977
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST57NEMARINERS DRIVE, Sneyd Park901-1/53/1808(West side)

BRISTOL ST57NE MARINERS DRIVE, Sneyd Park 901-1/53/1808 (West side) 04/03/77 Church of St Mary Magdalene GV II Church. 1860. By John Norton. Steeple 1872, S chapel 1883. Snecked Pennant rubble with red sandstone banding, limestone dressings and tile roof. Aisled nave, N transept, S chapel, apsidal chancel and SW tower. Early Pointed Gothic Revival style. The apse has trefoil lancets and linked, stilted hoods and a red ashlar sill band rising round the arch, between buttresses; a low N vestry with 3 lancets, organ chamber with trefoil-headed door and eaves stack, and 2 lancets and a shouldered arch door to the S chapel. 2-light plate tracery window to the organ chamber N gable, and a pierced rose window to the adjoining N transept gable; 6-bay N aisle, each with plate tracery 2-light windows between buttresses, and 7-bay clerestory of paired lancets. The tall S chapel gable has clasping buttresses and 3 tall lancets below a round window with a quatrefoil forming a cross; S aisle and clerestory as the N elevation; 4-stage gabled tower divided by red bands with wide clasping buttresses to just below the top; S door has a moulded, shouldered arch and triptych of the Crucifixion in the tympanum, within an arch of 2 orders on marble shafts; inside is a porch and doorway with 2 orders separated by dogtooth, and rear arches to the windows; narrow lancets to the second and third stages, paired belfry lancets of 2 orders with shafts separated by dogtooth moulding, and clocks to the gables; stiff leaf cornice has gargoyles at the corners below tall, crocketed, octagonal pinnacles with corner shafts, and a steep tiled spire. A narthex projects at the W end with an arcade of trefoil arches with animal head stops and parapet of trefoil panels, and doors at the ends with stiff leaf capitals; deep angle buttresses frame a plate tracery window of 2 paired lancets within pointed arches and an octofoil; below the apex is a blind arcade of 5 trefoil-headed arches with a central narrow light; single lancets to the aisles. INTERIOR: painted roof with detached shafts, with a stencil round the base of the chancel roof; reredos of a central arched niche with figures from the Last Supper and flanking trefoil arcades containing 3 similar sedilia and 3 arched niches to the N; windows have trefoil-headed rere arches with foliate capitals and banded shafts painted black, and triple vault shafts in the angles to a 3-bay arch-braced roof; 2 arches to the S have marble shafts and moulded capitals, and corbels with 3 shafts to the roof. S Chapel with arch-braced collars, chamfered and stopped. Tall chancel arch with the inner of 2 orders born on foliate corbels, and a marble dwarf wall at its base; 5-bay nave arcade has 4 attached shafts to piers with deeply carved foliate capitals and canopied hood stops to the N side, and W responds on head and shoulder figure corbels; between the clerestory windows are deep, moulded corbels with shafts to the roof; 2-light rear arches to the aisle windows, and of 2 orders to the W window. FITTINGS: Probably an original set include a brass altar rail, choir stalls and pews, octgonal pulpit with brass hand rail, a brass eagle lecturn and an octagonal font on marble shafts; an open Perpendicular screen to the Chapel, which has an altar screen with angels to octagonal shafts. Shown without the tower in Winstone. (Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 20; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 473; Bristol As It Was: Winstone R: 1879-74: Bristol: 1967-: 90, 91).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.