© Ian Webb
ST MATTHAIS' COLLEGE, OLDBURY COURT ROAD (west side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
01 August 2005
20 February 1990
Date of last amendment:
20 February 1990
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST67NW OLDBURY COURT ROAD, Fishponds
901-1/54/1275 (West side)
20/02/90 St Matthias' College
Includes: St Matthias' College COLLEGE ROAD.
College. 1851-2. By John Bevan with Jonathan Clarke. Extended
1903. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone dressings; Pennant
stone tile and clay tile roof, square stone diagonal stacks on
the ridges and gable ends. 4 linked blocks around 3 sides of a
quadrangle, open to the E. Gothic Revival collegiate style.
To the N, an L-shaped block with a projecting entrance gable
and octagonal stair tower, with a pierced parapet. 2 storeys,
3 storey front gable; varied fenestration of chamfered mullion
and transom windows with eaves dormers on the second floor.
2-centred doorway with carved head hood stops; canted bay to W
and lower eaves to E end.
Main range to W has a central gable and an entrance tower at
the N end; fenestration as above. 2-centred arched doorway in
the tower with a pierced parapet and spirelet; cross hall to S
has an octagonal bayed end with a pyramidal roof with louvred
dormer windows, and a curved staircase with a ramped parapet;
projecting wing to N, a 3-window range separated by
buttresses. Chapel in SW corner with lancet windows, a 4-bay
range to the nave and a bellcote on the west end.
Later block on S side is 2 storeys; 8-window range with an
octagonal stair tower 3rd from left with a pierced parapet and
gargoyles on the corners; ground-floor segmental-headed
windows, eaves dormers on the first-floor and an oriel in the
E end; covered ground-floor connecting passage.
INTERIOR: the staircase in the main block with twisted, iron
balusters and crenellated newels; the cross hall has a
hammerbeam roof on carved corbels, and a stone winder stair
with wrought-iron banisters. The chapel roof has alternating
cusped arch-braced and scissor-braced trusses with pierced
spandrels. Various Gothic fireplaces. Traceried stained-glass
screen to ground-floor front wing gable.
The college was built as the Gloucester and Bristol Diocesan
Training Institution for School Mistresses, and is now part of
Bristol Polytechnic. One of the best Gothic Revival buildings
in Bristol, with carefully varied plan and detail.
(Mowl T: Bristol The Last Age of the Merchant Princes:
Bristol: 1991-: 21).