You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380116  

Print Page



© Ms Ruth Povey

IoE Number: 380116
Location: FREEMASONS' HALL AND ATTACHED CAST IRON RAILINGS, 17-31 PARK STREET (south west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Ms Ruth Povey
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5872NW PARK STREET 901-1/15/166 (South West side) 08/01/59 Nos.17-31 (Odd) Freemasons' Hall and attached cast-iron railings (Formerly Listed as: PARK STREET (South West side) Nos.17-31 (Odd) Freemasons Hall) GV II* Institute, now hall. 1821-3. By SR Cockerell. RS Pope Clerk of Works. Limestone ashlar with a C20 copper-clad roof. Rectangular plan. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 11-window range, 5-windows to the left return. A corner site with a ground-floor sill band, first-floor frieze and shallow cornice, and second-floor cornice and parapet; incised panels between the floors, and shallow second-floor pilasters paired at the ends of each elevation. A curved corner has a deep curved tetrastyle-in-antis porch with Temple of the Winds capitals to an entablature, and a coffered ceiling. The doorway beneath has a tall architrave with a console cornice, plate-glass overlight and 8-panel door. Above is a carved panel of Grecian figures by EH Baily. Windows with architraves, eared with cornices on the ground floor, and tripartite first-floor corner window, to 6/6-pane horned sashes. Later right-hand 3-window block with a doorway and square panels on the first floor. C20 attic set back behind the parapet. To the rear of the right return is a full-height bow with a ground-floor window. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings and gates with bud finials between columns and to raised projecting basement area to the left return. Originally the Philosophical and Literary Institution, housing lecture room, galleries and library; the interior has been destroyed. Restoration after war damage removed much depth from the detailing, but this is still an impressive design making an important contribution to the street (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 247; Crick C: Victorian Buildings in Bristol: Bristol: 1975-: 1).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.