You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380503  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 380503
Location: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, ST PAULS ROAD (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 03 March 2002
Date listed: 28 September 1994
Date of last amendment: 28 September 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5773NEST PAUL'S ROAD, Clifton901-1/3/1053(North West side)

BRISTOL ST5773NE ST PAUL'S ROAD, Clifton 901-1/3/1053 (North West side) 28/09/94 Church of St Paul II Church. 1853. By Manners and Gill. Aisles and nave rebuilt 1867 by CF Hansom. MATERIALS: Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, exterior stack and slate roof with decorative ridge tiles and 2 cast-iron vents. PLAN: aisled nave with W and SW porches, N side tower and attached NW house. Originaly built as a hall church, the nave was raised by Hansom and Decorated Gothic Revival-style tracery largely replaced by Geometrical in the 2-centred arched openings. EXTERIOR: E end has a tall nave gable and flanking aisle gables with angle buttresses, two 2-light windows beneath a central round window to the nave, and 3-light aisle windows. A deep porch has an ashlar gable with steps up to a doorway with 3 orders, granite columns with foliate capitals and a carved scene of St Peter teaching, in the tympanum. Sliding doors into the reveals and a double inner door. Flanking side porches have pierced parapets and 2 side windows. N aisle has 7 bays of 2-light windows separated by buttresses. Similar S aisle; SW porch has an ashlar gable with paired, arched doorways on paired granite columns, the right-hand one blocked, set in a 2-centred arched recess, with a quatrefoil in the tympanum and a finial. The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, a N doorway with double doors and strap hinges and a hood with head stops, and a SW octagonal stair turret to the first stage; small 1-light window above and a string; cinqefoil second-stage window below a weathered band, and 2-light belfry windows with Decorated tracery and louvred panels. A corbel table to an ashlar broached spire with 3 diminishing stages of spirelights. 2 storey; 4-window range house to the NW corner has a double-pile roof and 3 cross gables with roll-top coping, the right-hand ones paired. These have 3-light ground-floor windows with trefoil heads and labels, and 2-light first-floor 2-centred arched windows with a central round light. Left-hand gable has a 3-light ground-floor window with flat, cuspate head, and a 3-light first-floor window with a shallow arch with trefoil over; plain 2-light window between the left and middle gables, and a blocked left-hand door with shouldered lintel. External stack to the W gable. The W end of the nave has a 3-light nave window, and 2-light aisle windows. INTERIOR: 2-bay chancel with timber reredos, in 3 sections with painted panels and flanking pointed-arched arcades; tall chancel arch with triple attached shafts; 5-bay nave with round sandstone shafts on square piers with water leaf, foliate capitals and moulded arches; carved corbels to vault shafts to a timber roof with arched trusses pierced by trefoils, and 2 tiers of windbraces; timber aisle roofs with pointed-arched trusses; W gallery. Fittings include an octagonal pulpit with marble shafts, and a similar octagonal stone font. The original building was an unusual example of a hall church with the aisles the height of the nave, perhaps suggested by the Cathedral (qv), and with a spire modelled on Pugin's St Peter's, Marlow. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 300).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.