You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380659  

Print Page



© Mr Adrian Exton

IoE Number: 380659
Location: NOVA HOUSE, TELEPHONE AVENUE (north side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mr Adrian Exton
Date Photographed: 16 March 2006
Date listed: 04 March 1977
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5872NE TELEPHONE AVENUE, Centre 901-1/16/681 (North West side) 04/03/77 Nova House (Formerly Listed as: TELEPHONE AVENUE, Centre Avon House) II Offices. 1903. By Henry Williams. Brick with limestone dressings, and slate mansard roof. Double-depth plan round a central light well. Edwardian Baroque style. 2 storeys, attic and basement; 9-window range, with 3-storey and attic rear block. The long entrance front has a raised, rusticated basement, the upper floors articulated by banded pilasters strips to a modillion cornice, parapet with square section attached balusters between panelled dies, with large ashlar dormers. The entrance front has 2:1:1:1:3:1 windows with pilasters between, and 1 window in the splayed left-hand corner; central doorway has fluted half-pilasters with faceted blocks, key and modillion pediment, plate-glass overlight and double 8-panel doors. Windows have keyed, eared Gibbs surrounds, ground-floor with a sill band stepped down between them and dentil pediments, and first-floor cornices; 4 large dormers, 2:1:2:1, as the lower windows with side consoles to the paired ones, and later dormers set between behind the parapet. The left-hand return has 3:3 windows, paired dormers over each, and the left-hand section has a 3rd storey with panels to the lintels and an inserted central doorway. Ground-floor plate-glass windows, and plate-glass sashes above. Basement windows have incised voussoirs. INTERIOR: wide entrance stair hall containing a lateral stair flight with 2 quarter-landings, cantilevered stone treads and wrought-iron railings with leaves, and semicircular-arched windows up the stairs with stained-glass lit fron the well; doorcases have surrounds with fluted half pilasters and fluted cornices, to 2-panel doors; the hall has a wide bow-ended half-glazed screen with curved panes; first-floor left-hand room half panelled with a strapwork ceiling and very good Jacobean style 1700 stone fire surround, with paired Ionic columns, paired Corinthian columns to the overmantel, strapwork and cornices with a central panel painted 1 E 7/ 0 AM 0; a similarly-styled 1550 stone fire surround in the ground-floor hall has an overmantel with 3 Ionic herms, painted shields and strapwork. HISTORICAL NOTE: The fire surrounds came from No.7 Small Street which belonged to the Elton family. Formerly the offices of the National Telephone Co. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 80, 389; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 414).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.