You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380690  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 380690
Location: NUMBERS 1 TO 14 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED FRONT AREA RAILINGS, 1-14 THE PARAGON (west side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 07 April 2002
Date listed: 08 January 1959
Date of last amendment: 30 December 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOL ST5672NE THE PARAGON, Clifton 901-1/13/1067 (West side) 08/01/59 Nos.1-14 (Consecutive) and attached front area railings (Formerly Listed as: THE PARAGON Nos.1-15 (Consecutive)) GV II* Terrace of 14 houses. 1809-14. Built by John Drew. Completed by Steven Hunter, who added the attic storeys. Limestone ashlar, render, party wall stacks and slate mansard roofs. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. A sharp convex crescent with entrance from the rear, has pilasters to a cornice, and rusticated ground floor. 6/6-pane sashes, 9/9-panes to the first floor; various dormers, Nos 11-13 have full attic storeys with sunken panels in the frieze. First-floor tented wrought-iron balconies with lattice railings and cast-lead ornament, and coved barge-boards with Vitruvian scroll. A full-width projecting vaulted terrace walk has a rubble front and balustrade. Rendered rear entrance elevation has pilasters to a cornice and parapet, rusticated ground floor, banded to Nos 11-13, shallow first-floor impost and second-floor sill bands. Bowed single-storey right-hand porches have long consoles to a cornice, architraves to bowed 2-leaf 4-panel doors, the bottom pair flush, and a sunken panel above. No.2 has no porch but a semicircular-arched architrave, 5-pane fanlight and 6-panel door. Architraves to full-height first-floor windows with raised cornices, shouldered architraves to the second floor; Nos 11-13 have full attic storeys with windows with small aprons, cornices broken forward and moulded semicircular-arched hoods above; 6/6-pane sashes, 3/3-pane to raking dormers. The left return is 3-window range with rusticated ground floor and coped attic gable, blind ground-floor window, and a single-storey porch with semicircular-arched doorway, 3-pane fanlight and 6-panel door; wrought-iron basket balconies to the first floor. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front area railings, wrought-iron spear-headed railings to Nos 2, 3, 6 & 11, cast-iron mid C19 barleysugar railings to the rest. Forms part of the important view of Clifton from the S across the Avon. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 219; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 235).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.