You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 382322  

Print Page



© Prof. W J Hume LRPS

IoE Number: 382322
Location: 98 STATION PARADE
  HARROGATE, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Prof. W J Hume LRPS
Date Photographed: 18 April 2003
Date listed: 05 January 1995
Date of last amendment: 05 January 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 3054 NWROBERT STREET(North side)700-/25/10027St Robert's Church,

SE 3054 NW ROBERT STREET (North side) 700-/25/10027 St Robert's Church, Presbytery and Repository II Includes: No 98 STATION PARADE. Roman catholic church with presbytery and repository. 1864, 1879 by Goldie and Child, altered 1906 by Marten of Leeds. Red brick with ashlar dressings and welsh slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers. Gothic revival style. Church has nave and aisles with a short square tower to the north-east. Nave has 12 lancets to the clerestory on the west and 11 on the east. The irregular aisles have some similar lancets. Main front has projecting gabled porch with C20 double doors, flanked on either side by a single lancet. Above 4 tall lancets with pink stone shafts and carved capitals, with between a central buttress. Above a single central shaft with small lancets on either side. This gable topped with an ashlar bellcote with spire. To the right the square tower with ashlar bands, it is topped with a saddle-back roof with 2 bell openings on each facade. Attached to the right an ashlar pointed archway which links to the presbytery. Presbytery, 2 storeys and attic, with ashlar sill and hood bands. The gabled south front has a 2 storey canted bay window with 3 plain sashes to each floor. Canted comer turret with a single lancet to each face. East front has 2 canted bay windows under a single lean-to roof, above 2 pairs of sashes and a small dormer. Return angle has a large sash on the ground floor and a tripartite window above with hipped dormer. Repository to east has 3 window south front, with central doorway and overlight flanked by single sashes with 3 similar sashes above, and then 3 hipped dormers above. The rounded east end has 2 sashes on the ground floor and a single sash above. Interior; has 5 bay arcades, the northern two sub-divided within the chancel, all with circular columns and water-leaf capitals. The original wooden roof survives, now painted white, with similar side aisle roofs. A wooden gallery with pews and an ornate organ to the south. Ornate Victorian side aisle chapels, original pews and stained glass.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.