You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 383364  

Print Page



© Ms Diana Hill

IoE Number: 383364
Location: NOS 2 AND 3 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GATE PIERS AND GATES, 2 AND 3 BAY HILL (north side)
  ILMINSTER, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Ms Diana Hill
Date Photographed: 20 May 2003
Date listed: 23 September 1950
Date of last amendment: 23 September 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ILMINSTERST3614BAY HILL1939-1/7/1(North side)

ILMINSTER ST3614 BAY HILL 1939-1/7/1 (North side) 23/09/50 Nos.2 AND 3 and attached railings, gate piers and gates II* Two lodges to Dillington House (qv). Early C19; probably c1837, when Sir James Pennethorne was responsible for extensive alterations to Dillington House. Ham Hill stone ashlar with flat lead roofs and stone stacks to rear walls. Each of hexagonal one-room plan. Gothic style. 2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. All windows have pointed arches, dripmoulds with circular stops, 2-lights with hollow-moulded Y-tracery to mullions, diamond leading with margin panes to lower part and interlaced leading to the tops. Similar dripmoulds over planked and studded doors, one to each lodge, which face each other across the drive; similar blind window above, with false painted leading, is flanked by windows on each side of the canted bay formed by the hexagon. String courses run at sill levels and below the moulded castellated parapet. INTERIORS: totally altered. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The rear of each lodge is built into the hillside and limestone rubble walls attached to the rear, up to first-floor level, cant in toward the gates and act as retaining wall. A low Ham Hill stone ashlar wall is attached to the inside front (north) of each lodge with coping that continues as the lower sill course, with plain railings. These are connected to octagonal piers with octagonal swept domed caps, and hold the closing catches of the side (pedestrian) gates. To the centre of the drive is a pair of very tall octagonal gate piers with rusticated shafts, dentilled cornices, stepped caps with large acorns to the top in octagonal cups. The gates are cast-iron Gothic-style; smaller, outer gates sweep up from the height of the smaller outer piers to their hinges on the tall inner ones. The upper rails of the main, double gates curve downwards toward the centre; the middle and lower rails are ornamented with bands of quatrefoils, set in squares. Attached to the front (south) of each lodge are railings of square section, with pointed tops; similar tops are fixed to the highest, horizontal rail between railings. These curve away from the drive, to east and west, and enclose acute triangular-shaped forecourts of approx 45m to the west and approx 30m to the east, each having a small working access gate.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.