You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 383921  

Print Page



© Mr Chris Ayre

IoE Number: 383921
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, BASWICH LANE (west side)
  STAFFORD, STAFFORD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Chris Ayre
Date Photographed: 06 September 1999
Date listed: 16 January 1951
Date of last amendment: 16 January 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STAFFORDSJ92SWBASWICH LANE, Baswich590-1/2/103(West side)

STAFFORD SJ92SW BASWICH LANE, Baswich 590-1/2/103 (West side) 16/01/51 Church of Holy Trinity GV II* Church. C13 chancel arch; C15 tower with C18 bell stage; 1740 nave and chancel; late C20 transepts and north vestry. MATERIALS: brick with ashlar dressings and tile roof; ashlar tower and brick transepts and vestry. EXTERIOR: chancel has ashlar plinth, quoins and impost band, coped gable; round-headed window has ashlar sill, brick apron, and ashlar arch with key. Transepts have narrow full-height lights. 4-bay nave has similar details to chancel, but with Medieval diagonal buttresses and ashlar wall ends to west , entrance to left end of south side has boldly rusticated Tuscan surround and paired 4-fielded-panel doors, round window above has lower half blocked; north side has blind windows with lunettes. Tower has 2 diagonal buttresses; blocked west entrance with inserted window; 3-light window with simple Perpendicular tracery, south entrance up brick and ashlar stair, which continues to segmental-headed gallery entrance; round-headed louvred bell openings with keys; top cornice and coped parapet. INTERIOR: chancel has 2 king-post trusses with paired struts; ceiled transepts have diagonal buttresses to chancel arch, with has primitive capitals and Early English double-chamfered arch; nave is ceiled, with west gallery on 4 iron columns in square, the centre projecting; fielded panelling to sill level. FITTINGS: chancel has C18 altar rails to 3 sides with spiral balusters and moulded rails; north transept has ex-situ Levett family pew of 1812 raised on iron columns with stick-baluster stair, 3 panels and cornice; nave has C18 3-decker pulpit with fielded panelling. MONUMENTS: Brian and Jehanna Fowler, 1587, ex-situ painted chest tomb with tapering square balusters and shields, lettering to cornice; several C18 and C19 wall tablets to Fowler and Chetwynd families; bequest board dated 1733 and 1830. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Nairn J: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: 248; Shell Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire, A Shell Guide: London: 1978-: 157).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.