© Mr Terence Moors
STAFFORDSHIRE GENERAL LUNATIC ASYLUM, GOAL SQUARE
STAFFORD, STAFFORD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Mr Terence Moors
24 April 2005
17 December 1971
Date of last amendment:
17 December 1971
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SJ9223NW GAOL SQUARE
590-1/9/30 (East side)
17/12/71 St George's Hospital
Formerly known as: Staffordshire General Lunatic Asylum GAOL
Mental hospital. 1818, by Joseph Potter; extended 1849-50 and
later. Georgian style.
MATERIALS: brick with ashlar dressings; hipped slate roof.
Long symmetrical range with projecting wings and recessed end
wings of later date; rear has varied original and later wings
including chapel and water tower.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys; 5-window centre flanked by 5-window
ranges, 2-window projections and further 5-window ranges; end
projections with probably later 2-window wings with 3-window
returns; 3-storey, 9-window end wings with end projections.
Plaster plinth, platt band over ground floor becoming 1st
floor sill band to centre, 2nd floor sill band and top frieze
and cornice. Entrance to 1st floor has architrave, frieze and
consoled cornice, overlight and C20 glazed doors, porch has
paired Doric columns, frieze and cornice with blocking course,
flanking walls with lanterns; 2 curved flights of stairs with
enriched iron balusters, the front wall rebuilt with C20
entrance. Ground floor has round-headed windows with 12-pane
sashes, 10 have upper radial glazing bars; projections have
windows set behind 2 round arches with imposts and keys; end
projections have tripartite windows with angle pilasters and
gabled lintels, similar single windows to wings. 1st and 2nd
floor windows have friezes and cornices over 12-pane horned
sashes; 3rd floor windows have rubbed brick flat arches over
6-pane horned sashes, those to projections and wings with
Returns similar, with end tripartite windows and inserted fire
escapes and entrances; round-headed entrances have triple
windows above in round-headed recesses, top Diocletian window.
Lower wings have similar windows; with 2-window end
projections; canted bays with tripartite windows and 2-window
end projections with projecting covered stairs to all floors,
T-plan with front verandahs. Varied stacks, including 2 large
stacks to main range with quoins and cornices.
Rear has varied contemporary and later wings; gabled chapel
wing has bell cote and triplet of lancets in arched recess and
flanking lancets to transepts which have double-gabled returns
with triplets; water tower with tank and truncated stack.
(Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade MW: A
History of Stafford, taken from V.C.H.: London: 1979-: 235;
Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: