You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 384206  

Print Page

© Mr Alan Francis Polaine

IoE Number: 384206
Location: HAMPTON COURT, 1,3,5 NELSON STREET (west side)
Photographer: Mr Alan Francis Polaine
Date Photographed: 12 June 2006
Date listed: 01 December 1951
Date of last amendment: 01 December 1951
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KING'S LYNNTF6119NENELSON STREET610-1/9/138(West side)

KING'S LYNN TF6119NE NELSON STREET 610-1/9/138 (West side) 01/12/51 Nos.1, 3 AND 5 Hampton Court GV I Merchant's house, named after the C17 baker John Hampton, arranged round a courtyard in 4 distinct ranges. Early C14 with various additions and alterations since. Restored 1958-60, converted to 15 flats 1962. Stone, timber-framed and brick with plain tiled roofs. Courtyard elevations rendered and colourwashed. South range is early C14 and contained the hall. Stone. North elevation of 2 storeys with C20 dormer attic Irregular disposition of two C20 doorways and 2 and 3-light cross casements and sashes, either renewed or restored C17 details. Gabled roof with 11 gabled dormers arranged in pairs. To right of elevation is a pair of arched stone doorways, that to the east only identifiable by remains of left jamb; the other intact. At left of elevation a third doorway also has only remains of east jamb. This doorway led into, probably, a screens passage with compact service rooms to left, entered via three arched stone openings. To right was the open hall (of the timber screen itself there is no trace) with a C16 inserted central hearth, the rebuilt stack of which emerges just off the ridge line above. To west of the hall, occupying half of elevation, were two ground-floor service rooms with a single large chamber above. The 2 west arched doorways served these rooms. A C16 hearth was inserted against the east wall of the western lower room and its rebuilt ridge stack emerges above the surviving C14 stone doorway. Internal partitions are of stone, but now confused by later and C20 additions. At west end of hall a blocked arched doorway led into the first of the west rooms, which was probably a parlour. Hall roof consists now of tie beams and common rafters, extensively renewed, but has been reconstructed as a crown-post type with a tie beam supported by arched braces dropping to corbels via wall posts. In addition a pair of passing braces rose from the wall to terminate at the head of the crown-post and at the ridge respectively, the latter crossing at the apex in scissor-braced fashion. 5 parallel bracing struts connected the rafters to the tie beam and a sixth from the head of the crown-post to the rafter. Where these intersected with the passing braces a grid effect was thus created, a form found elsewhere in King's Lynn. In a C20 first-floor partition wall of the present No.3 Hampton Court a section of this grid remains, now without structural purpose. The east gable wall of this range now abuts the street range, and emerges above it, but no evidence was revealed during the 1958 investigations to show any communication with an existing street range. The west gable, which also shows above the warehouse block at this end, was not in a state to allow speculation upon a similar question. Chronologically this warehouse range is next. Mid C15. Brick. Built parallel to and on the then bank of the river, at right angles to the hall range. Original disposition of windows and internal planning destroyed during multiple C19 tenement occupation. Courtyard (east) elevation of 2 storeys divided by a thin string course. Central doorway with split overlight, 4 renewed sashes with glazing bars to right, 3 to left with a second doorway. 6 sashes with glazing bars above, irregularly placed, the central one round-headed. Gabled roof. Details mostly mid C20. West elevation dominated by arcade of seven 4-centred double chamfered arches, now blocked and pierced by doors and windows of various C19 and C20 types. Arches carried on round piers with moulded capitals. Northern pair of arches obscured by later warehouse on south side of St Margaret's Lane, but remain identifiable. First floor north window is a 4-light cross casement of C16 origins, otherwise 4 mid C20 sashes with glazing bars, that to south in a taller 2-storey and attic gable end with a doorway to the ground. The east range to Nelson Street followed c1480, probably as shops. Brick ground floor, timber-framed first floor over deep jetty. No.5, to south, has boarded jetty and is rendered and colourwashed, remainder has ochre wash. No.5 with a panelled door to left under 5-vaned fanlight, one early C19 sash to left and one above with glazing bars. To left of entrance passage are 2 sashes squeezed into a 2-light roll-moulded timber mullioned window, the mullion and jambs on moulded bases. This window originally served a shop and is the only survivor in any Ouse-bank site. To right are 2 further sashes with glazing bars separated by another subsidiary inserted doorway. Entrance passage into courtyard has a square roll-moulded timber surround carrying a segmental arch in the spandrels of which are the carved arms of the Amfles family, Richard Amfles taking possession from William Amfles in 1482. First floor with brick nogging, the jetty supported on knuckle braces at intervals. 2 sashes with glazing bars to right and 3 mullioned casements to left, of 5, 2 and 3 lights. Gabled roof with 3 hipped dormers with casements. The cruciform ridge stack left of centre was rectangular before restoration. North gable has a kneeler on brick corbel and some tumbling in the gable-head. 3 renewed windows to this gable. Entrance passage has hollow-chamfer and roll-moulded joists with tongue stops on heavy bridging beams, that to the courtyard multiple roll-moulded. Courtyard elevation with 2 ground floor doors into front houses and 2 or 3-light renewed cross casements. North range to St Margaret's Lane c1600. Of previous buildings, if any, nothing is known. Brick. 2 storeys with dormer attic 3 doorways under sloping hoods date from restoration. Fenestration predominantly of 3-light cross casements with leaded glazing, restored, partly renewed but substantially C17. Those towards west end have hollow-chamfered mullions. Gabled roof with one gabled dormer to west. North elevation to street is long and undisciplined. 3 garage doors to ground floor. Large partly external stack of early C17 has a set-off above eaves line. To left of it at first floor is one contemporary 3-light cross casement, to the right a similar 2-light window. Remainder of fenestration rather mixed; mostly sashes. 2 gabled dormers. (King's Lynn Archaeological Survey: Parker V: The Making of King's Lynn: London: 1971-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North-west and South Norfolk: Harmondsworth: 1962-: 256; Norfolk Archaeological Unit Index: 12009).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.