You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 384207  

Print Page



©  Graham Brown LRPS

IoE Number: 384207
Location: 2,4 NELSON STREET (east side)
  KINGS LYNN, KINGS LYNN AND WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Photographer: Graham Brown LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 April 2001
Date listed: 01 December 1951
Date of last amendment: 26 July 1993
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KING'S LYNN TF6119NE NELSON STREET 610-1/9/139 (East side) 01/12/51 No.2 (Formerly Listed as: NELSON STREET (East side) Nos.2 AND 4) GV II* Formerly known as: Nos.2 AND 4 The Valiant Sailor (2) (Public House) NELSON STREET. Shop and house, formerly a public house, now wholly domestic Constructed on the site of buildings relating to St Margaret's Priory, cleared at the Reformation. 1540-50. Timber-framed with brick. Rendered and colourwashed. Plain tiled roof to south, slate to north, the division marking a change in roof heights. 2 storeys and dormer attic on a curved site. Panelled door to right with an overlight leads into No 4. Two further doors to west elevation and sashes with glazing bars at intervals. Deep coved jetty is plastered. At north-west corner is an exposed moulded dragon post, with, behind it, a C16 timber panel with carved figures, possibly representing the Annunciation. Jetty continues into north return above the former public house facade: 5 pilaster strips containing a sealed doorway and casements. First-floor fenestration of sashes with glazing bars and, towards north end, one 4-light diamond-mullioned timber window with a King mullion. Gabled roof to south, hipped to north. 2 gabled dormers in south roof. Ridge stack at division of roofs. C20 stack on line of east (rear) wall at north end. The rear with whitewashed brick to ground floor, heavy scantling timber studs to first floor. Arched braces and brick nogging. Various casements and sashes. INTERIOR. Ground floor main room (to north and west) with 2 massive plain bridging beams running north-south, obliquely scarf-jointed. Square dragon beam to north-west corner. West wall retains 3 blocked openings to shop arcade formed by inserting knuckle braces between principal studs and middle rail. Above middle rail secondary studs define additional panels. Arcade openings with jambs rebated for shutters. Over outer 2 arcade openings the upper panels are also rebated for shutters. To right of arcade 2 hinge posts survive for a former door. This arcade said to have extended to south end of facade, as is likely. The first floor is rich with widely-spaced studs. Roof over north part of house as far south as the ridge stack is all replaced. Roof to south end rebuilt on an outer and higher line, explaining the differing heights seen from the exterior. Some principal rafters of original structure survive, but rebuilding and re-use of extraneous timbers prevent a coherent identification of roof-type.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.