You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 384299  

Print Page



©  Graham Brown LRPS

IoE Number: 384299
Location: TUDOR ROSE HOTEL, 10,11 ST NICHOLAS STREET (north side)
  KINGS LYNN, KINGS LYNN AND WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Photographer: Graham Brown LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 October 2000
Date listed: 01 December 1951
Date of last amendment: 26 July 1993
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KING'S LYNN TF6120SE ST NICHOLAS STREET 610-1/7/246 (North side) 01/12/51 Nos.10 AND 11 Tudor Rose Hotel (Formerly Listed as: ST NICHOLAS STREET (North side) No.11) (Formerly Listed as: ST ANN'S STREET (West side) No.28 St Nicholas' House) II* 2 houses, joined early C17, now a hotel. West house (No.10) mid C15 with later additions and alterations. Timber-frame with brick infill, the rear mainly brick and carstone. East house (No.11) C16, linked to No.10 by an internal gallery early C17, rebuilt in brick on double-pile plan 1645, southern pile rebuilt mid C18. Extensive restorations 1972-73. Pantile roofs. No.10: two storeys. Ground floor rendered and colourwashed. To left a 4-centred chamfered stone arch flanked by an engaged column right and left. Late Gothic mouldings to base on square plinth. Oak plank door with 4 stiles dividing into 5 vertical panels with a tracery head defined by a crenellated middle rail. Tracery panels filled with carved relief window tracery of proto-Perpendicular type current in advanced ecclesiastical architecture of c1345. One sash window with glazing bars to right. Right of this a small casement and a doorway, the latter with 4-centred timber arch and a 3-light mullioned window to its left, linked under a C20 hood with labels. Jettied first floor. Close studded with brick infill. 5 renovated 2-light cross casements with leaded lights of early C17 origins, grouped in 2 pairs to left with the last isolated to right of elevation. This last lights the early C17 timber-framed connecting gallery (the last known to survive in Lynn). Gabled roof, that over gallery narrower but of same pitch. West gable largely rebuilt during restoration. Gabled 2-storey cross wing to rear, originally containing hall range. West wall with one 4-light transomed ovolo-moulded cross casement to ground floor and 2 similar windows above. Towards south is a 3-light mullioned window. East elevation dominated on ground floor by a 5-light transomed ovolo-moulded cross casement with hood. 2-light similar window to its right. First floor lit through a tripartite late C18 sash with glazing bars and a 2-light mullioned casement to its right, both with ashlar surrounds. Ridge stack left of centre. No.11: mid C18 facade. 2 storeys and dormer attic in 5 symmetrical bays. Plinth course. Flemish bond brickwork. Blocked door to centre with a blind window above. Sashes are mid C19 with horns and one glazing bar but re-using C18 boxes. Platband at first floor. Gabled roof with 2 gabled dormers of 1970s. Rear pile also 2 storeys and dormer attic in 6 irregular bays. Ground floor with C20 glazed door, two C19 sashes with glazing bars and one C19 three-light casement. First floor lit through 6 mid-C17 two-light cross casements. Gabled roof with 3 flat-topped dormers. Roof pitch reduced to western half. Dutch east gable with prominent kneelers and open pediment. Dated 1645. Internal stepped gable-end stack rises out of pediment. INTERIOR. No.10: ground floor west room with multiple hollow-moulded bridging beam. Plain joists. Panelling is late C20. Cross wing with inserted early C16 stack, the fireplace with double roll-moulded stone jambs and similarly decorated timber bressumer. Immediately east of this is site of 2 arches of screen, one of which is readily apparent, the disposition of screens passage now obscured by the abutting 1645 structure. Front first-floor roof of 3 crown post trusses: cambered ties support square section crown posts. Dropping arched braces from ties to posts. Arched braces from posts to crown purlin. Collars. First floor of rear cross wing largely of C19 character. No.11: main bridging beams with sunk quadrant mouldings enriched with jewel and tongue stops. Studwork partitioning. Large-framed C18 dado panelling to staircase.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.