© Mr George C Scott
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST MARY, CHURCH WALK (north east side)
STOWMARKET, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK
Mr George C Scott
24 August 1999
28 July 1950
Date of last amendment:
29 November 1993
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TM0458 CHURCH WALK
614-1/4/40 (North East side)
28/07/50 Church of St Peter and St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of Saints Peter and Mary)
Parish church. Mid C14 nave, aisles and chancel. West tower
mid C15 (`new' in 1453), clerestory and north and south
porches also mid C15. Spire re-built 1712. Restored 1825,
vestry added 1855, tower restored 1894, spire removed 1975.
Flint with ashlar dressings under slate roofs. 4-stage tower
with set-back buttresses and 2-light belfry windows.
Crenellated flushwork parapet. Stump of octagonal copper-clad
spire formerly with balcony.
6-bay south aisle fitted with 3-light Flowing tracery windows
between stepped buttresses. North aisle outwardly of 7 bays
owing to addition of east chapel: similar 3-light Flowing
fenestration. 4-light aisle west windows, the north aisle also
with 3 cusped roundels beneath. Clerestory windows of double
cusped lancets. Tall crenellated south porch with flushwork
arcading and diapering and niches left and right. Similar
north porch. 2-bay chancel fitted with 3-light C14 Flowing
tracery windows and a 5-light Reticulated east window.
INTERIOR. 7-bay arcade consisting of 4-lobed piers with keels
to the north side and fleur-de-lys piers on the south with
mushroom capitals. Triple-chamfered tower arch and
wave-moulded chancel arch, the latter on lobed piers. The
roofs are boarded. Four C15 bench ends remain, the remainder
1837. East bay of north aisle with a monument under a
crocketed ogee arch, mid C14. North aisle with wall monument
to Margaret English, 1604: high-relief figures of Margaret
facing husband, 7 sons and 5 daughters across a prayer-desk; 2
Renaissance arches with putti heads on rear wall. Wall
monument to John Gilbert, 1641. Alabaster and marble. Predella
and apron below figures of Gilbert and wife framed by pair of
Corinthian columns below broken segmental pediment.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Suffolk: Harmondsworth: