© Mr Alan Bradley LRPS
AUCKLAND CASTLE ENTRANCE GATEWAY, AUCKLAND CASTLE PARK (east side)
BISHOP AUCKLAND, WEAR VALLEY, DURHAM
Mr Alan Bradley LRPS
31 May 2002
21 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
23 May 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
NZ2130 AUCKLAND CASTLE PARK
634-1/8/81 (East side)
21/04/52 Auckland Castle entrance gateway
(Formerly Listed as:
Entrance Gateway to the Castle)
Castle gateway with gates. 1760. By Sir Thomas Robinson of
Rokeby for Bishop William Trevor. Ashlar with ashlar dressings
and lead roofs. Gothick style. Vehicle arch in high gate
flanked by lower screen walls with pedestrian arches.
Moulded pointed arch rests on impost and chamfered pilasters,
flanked by triple shafts with clasping rings which end in tall
octagonal spirelets with bud finials. Recessed pairs of Gothic
daggers in spandrels. Narrow set back side sections have
niches with ogee heads, below pierced quatrefoils. Architrave,
frieze and cornice, in manner of Classical entablature, and
Square clock tower set on sloping, lead-covered plinth behind
parapet, has angle pilasters with ball-topped obelisk finials,
and swept low pyramidal lead spire with ball finial. Clocks on
east and west fronts, blind quatrefoils with cross slits on
north and south. Central arch has quadripartite ribs, and
pointed arched door surround and oak panelled door in south
wall. Flanking lower side walls have moulded, pointed arches,
and eaves string below battlements.
Rear elevation similar to front. Vehicle and pedestrian gates
have spear-headed alternate principals and dogbars; pedestrian
arches have wrought-iron guards in arch heads.
(Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects
1600-1840: London: 1978-: 703).