You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 385619  

Print Page

© Mr Alan Bradley LRPS

IoE Number: 385619
Location: LODGE FARMHOUSE, A 688 (west off)
Photographer: Mr Alan Bradley LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 April 2002
Date listed: 06 May 1986
Date of last amendment: 23 May 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BISHOP AUCKLAND NZ23SW A 688 634-1/2/3 (West side (off)) 06/05/86 Lodge Farmhouse (Formerly Listed as: AUCKLAND CASTLE PARK Lodge Farm) GV II Farmhouse. Dated 1779. For John, Bishop of Durham. Incorporates earlier fabric. Extensive alteration in 1779 enveloped first build and extended to right, leaving earlier quoins visible only in rear wall. Later small left rear pent outshut. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings, the quoins with herringbone tooling; roof of concrete tiles with rendered chimneys. Symmetrical front elevation, T plan. 2 storeys, 5 windows. Central 3 bays break forward under pediment which contains inscription in well-cut Roman capitals: JOHNDUNELM/ANNODOM/MDCCLXXIX. Apron to inscription panel. First-floor band interrupted by high central round-headed arch, with stepped voussoirs, filled with coarser darker stone and containing renewed door under flat stone lintel; oculus above with radiating glazing bars and painted ashlar surround. Sashes with C19 glazing bars, most with flat stone lintels. Tall, round-headed windows with springing and top keystones flank keyed arch with voussoirs, which rises through 2 storeys in central projection. Steeply-pitched hipped roof. INTERIOR has stick balusters to dogleg stair in central bay; some window shutters; C19 chimney pieces; transverse rear passage. The inscription refers to John Egerton, Bishop of Durham 1771-87. (Fair P: A Description of Bishop Auckland: Bishop Auckland: 1820-: 38-43).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.