You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 385967  

Print Page



© Mr John Brayford

IoE Number: 385967
Location: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, QUEEN STREET (west side)
  NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME, NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Brayford
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 21 October 1949
Date of last amendment: 21 October 2049
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NEWCASTLE UNDER LYMESJ8546SWQUEEN STREET644-1/9/51(West side)

NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME SJ8546SW QUEEN STREET 644-1/9/51 (West side) 21/10/49 Church of St George GV II* Church. 1828. By Francis Bedford, built as a Commissioners Church, and designated as Parish Church in 1856. Coursed and squared rubble facing to brick structure. West tower, nave with 2 aisles under a single span, chancel. Narrow tower is enclosed by aisles, with only the polygonal angle buttresses projecting from the west wall. 3 prinicpal stages, with 4-centred arched doorway and long 2-light window over, and paired bell chamber lights. Embattled parapet and crocketed angle pinnacles. Aisles to north and south articulated into 6 bays divided by buttresses capped with crocketed pinnacles between eaves parapet. 2-light Late Decorated style windows, and blind arcading in west walls. North porch a later addition with heavy parapet and buttresses. Blocked south door now a window. Chancel partly a later addition with 5-light east window with foiled circle. Iron entrance gates and railings in eastern tooled sandstone retaining wall. INTERIOR: a single space, scarcely divided by slender clustered shafts to 4-bay arcade, supporting rib vaulting over nave and aisles. Western gallery with arcade of 3 principal and 2 narrow arches carried on blind arches below. Chancel has boarded roof with single ornate truss with pendants. Scalloped arch carried on short corbelled piers to later chancel extension, stone faced on interior. Chancel chapels to north and south, with organ to north and traceried screen separating south chapel. Floors throughout have encaustic tiles, possibly by Minton. Oak pews, reredos and panelling. Stained glass: east window has the Ascension flanked by figures of Saints George, Michael, Luke and John. North aisle windows 1861-1892 in similar styles, though by different artists, with figures on traceried grounds, and a Rennaissance style window of 1929. South aisle windows 1895-1910, with figures against a traceried and landscaped ground. (Newcastle Under Lyme 1173-1973: N.Staffs Polytechnic: 1973-; Briggs John: St.George's Newcastle Under Lyme, 1828-1978: N.Staffs Polytechnic: 1978-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: Harmondsworth).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.