© Mr Peter Smee LRPS
THE BRIDEWELL, 4 NORWICH ROAD (south east side)
WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Mr Peter Smee LRPS
29 September 2002
14 July 1972
Date of last amendment:
14 July 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TG1101 NORWICH ROAD
655-1/9/135 (South East side)
Prison and magistrates' court. 1787 with early C19 additions.
Red brick. Cumberland slate and pantile roofs. 3 ranges
forming courtyard. West range is main block. 2 storeys in 5
bays, the centre 3 bays broken forward under pediment. Central
double-leaf panelled door set within timber case. Fenestration
of 2-light cross casements under gauged skewback arches.
Timber eaves cornice below hipped roof. 2 symmetrical stacks
on rear roof slope. Roof is Cumberland slate. South range also
2 storeys. 2 tall round-headed windows mark extent of
magistrates' court on south side. Hipped roof with 3
eccentrically-placed stacks. Inner facade to courtyard with 5
round-headed sashes and 2 blind window bays. North block again
2 storeys and hipped. Large late C20 garage extension to house
ambulances in courtyard. Scattered fenestration of differing
types. INTERIOR. Brick barrel-vaulted cellars. One of holding
cells retains heavy timber door without lock. Crash bar and
plate intact to exterior.