You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 386539  

Print Page

© Ms Kaz Diller

IoE Number: 386539
Photographer: Ms Kaz Diller
Date Photographed: 29 August 1999
Date listed: 11 May 1950
Date of last amendment: 11 May 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


TAMWORTH SK2003NW LICHFIELD STREET 670-1/8/110 (South side) 11/05/50 The Moat House GV II* House, now restaurant. c1572 with C18 refenestration and C19 and C20 additions. Brick, some ashlar dressings; tile roof with brick stacks. Elizabethan style. H-plan. 2 storeys with attic; symmetrical 8-window range; ends project under gables with C20 single-storey infill between. All gables are crow-stepped. Entrance has bolection-moulded architrave, armorial panel and gable with ball finial. 5 windows to ground floor centre have 12-pane sashes; ends each have 2 windows with 12-pane sashes under drip course, those to left end with thick glazing bars; 1st floor has 6 windows have dripstones over 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars, ends have Venetian windows with similar sashes; attic has 3 gabled dormer windows, these and end gables have 6-pane sashes. Several C19 multi-shafted stacks with blue brick enrichment; inner returns have end stacks to gablets. Left end has 3-stage tower, the top stage reconstructed in C19, with ashlar embattled parapet and 2-light double-chamfered mullion windows under dripstones. To left, a C19 service wing with similar details; gable over 4-light transomed ground floor and 3-light 1st floor window and attic light. Right return has lean-to outshut with 2 gablets and 2 gabled dormers. Rear has 2 gables to left and one gable to right of recess with C19 gabled wing with C20 infill to left; C16 windows mostly double-chamfered mullions; left end obscured by ivy, sashed windows; stair wing to left of recess has C16 cross-mullioned windows; right end has two 3-light windows to ground floor, casement replacing sash to 1st floor; all attic windows have 2- or 3-light windows with small-paned casements. C19 kitchen court to right end with embattled parapet to wall. INTERIOR: some Tudor-headed doors to ground floor; segmental-headed recess has C17 panelling; fireplace has Tudor arch with enriched spandrels in architrave with frieze and cornice; open-well staircase has square newels with pendants and ball finials, strapwork panels and moulded handrail; top landing has splat balusters (as at Tamworth Castle q.v.); 1st floor has long room with C16 plaster ceiling with square and oval panels with armorial bearings or birds with grapes and Tudor-arched fireplace has architrave with fluted frieze and cornice. The house was owned by the Comberford family, who entertained Charles I while Prince of Wales. One of Tamworth's oldest and most interesting buildings. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.279).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.