You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 386689  

Print Page



© Mr Duncan Keeler

IoE Number: 386689
Location: CITADEL STATION, COURT SQUARE (west side)
  CARLISLE, CARLISLE, CUMBRIA
Photographer: Mr Duncan Keeler
Date Photographed: 07 October 2003
Date listed: 13 November 1972
Date of last amendment: 13 November 1972
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CARLISLENY4055COURT SQUARE671-1/11/102(West side)

CARLISLE NY4055 COURT SQUARE 671-1/11/102 (West side) 13/11/72 Citadel Station GV II* Railway station. 1847-8 for a Joint Station Committee, by Sir William Tite; extended 1879-80. Calciferous sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses, eaves cornice and solid parapets. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables; some skylights and gabled roof dormers; ashlar ridge and end chimney stacks. Glazed overall roof behind the main facade covering the running lines. Tudor Style. Main facade is of 2 storeys, numerous bays in a long continuous row of differing roof levels. Central port-cochere of 5 bays, each pointed arch divided by a buttress carried up as a finial. Over each arch are coats-of-arms; central Royal arms flanked by those of Lancaster & Carlisle Railway and Caledonian Railway, remaining panels intended for Maryport & Carlisle Railway and Newcastle & Carlisle Railway left blank. Over, and in the offices to the right, are mullioned and transomed windows mostly of 3-lights. Between the entrance and offices is a clock tower which is octagonal on a square base. The single-storey former waiting and refreshment rooms (at the left) have a series of facing gabled projections with various mullioned and canted bay windows. Under the glazed roof, which is supported on a series of hooped trusses, is a central footbridge of crossed girders linking with the island platforms. The island buildings are also of 2 storeys, numerous bays in a continuous row; doorways and windows in restrained Tudor style. INTERIOR: Numerous stone fireplaces in Tudor style, some in former refreshment rooms are inscribed and dated, see Bonavia (1987), for an illustration of one. For further details and removal of part of roof in 1957-8, see Robinson (1986). Detached wall for demolished roof is listed separately. The building by Tite is among the most important early major railway stations in Britain. (Bonavia MR: Historic Railway Sites in Britain: 1987-: P.139; Robinson PW: Rail Centres, Carlisle: 1986-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.