You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 387426  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Callan LRPS

IoE Number: 387426
Location: GUILDHALL, ALFRED GELDER STREET (north side)
  KINGSTON UPON HULL, KINGSTON UPON HULL, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Callan LRPS
Date Photographed: 22 January 2006
Date listed: 12 November 1973
Date of last amendment: 12 November 1973
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KINGSTON UPON HULLTA0928NEALFRED GELDER STREET680-1/22/24(North side)

KINGSTON UPON HULL TA0928NE ALFRED GELDER STREET (North side) 680-1/22/24 Guildhall 12.11.73 GV II* Also Known As: GUILDHALL, LOW GATE Guildhall, HANOVER SQUARE City guildhall, civic offices, and law courts. 1906-1914. By Sir Edwin Cooper of Russell, Cooper & Davis, won in a competition assessed by John Belcher. Built in 2 stages, beginning with the law courts, by Quibell, Son & Green of Hull. Restored 1948 following wartime damage. Reckoned to be a major work of Cooper. Ashlar, rusticated, with granite plinth and slate roofs, with numerous coped stacks. Modillion cornice and balustrade to main elevations. Baroque Revival style, described by Pevsner as a tour de force, which it is, inside and out. Narrow tapering island site, 9 x 33 bays. 2 fronts, the main entrance facing east to Lowgate, the much larger Law Courts front facing south to Alfred Gelder Street. Utilitarian rear elevation to north, facing Hanover Square. The Guildhall is set crosswise at the narrow east end, with a plain block of civic offices between it and the Law Courts. These are set lengthwise covering most of the site.The entrance front has a pedimented central portico with paired columns and 3 windows, set on a basement with 3 doorways and topped with a square clock tower. This has an arcaded bell stage and stone lantern, plus clock made by Cooke& Johnson for the former town hall built in 1865 (restorted by David Stipetic). On each side, symmetrical wings, 3 storeys, 3 windows. Returns have single round-arched windows, the left one under a portico. Basements with 5 windows. Recessed office range, 3 storeys, has 3 windows set in rusticated panels, and a basement with 3 triple windows. Law Courts have a symmetrical front with projecting centre and end bays, the latter topped with massive sculpture groups by A H Hodge. Central entrance bay has a giant arch with paired flanking columns and a hefty sculpture set over the basement door. Flanking ranges, 3 storeys, 15 bays, have giant columns and pedimented lower windows. Basement has 3 round-arched doorways. Attics have box dormers. INTERIOR layout reflects the exterior. Guildhall, 2 storeys, has a spinal corridor flanked by offices, leading to a crosswise passage and stairwell. Elaborate marble double staircase leading to a square reception room and a full-width banqueting hall. The reception room has a coffered ceiling with central skylight. Banqueting hall has half-panelling and a segmental vault with skylight. At each end, a round-arched window. Office block has in the centre the council chamber served by barrel-vaulted corridors and flanked by the civic suite. Council chamber has elaborate coffered dome and cross vaults, and original panelling and fitted furnishings. Civic suite has 2 panelled reception rooms with coffered ceilings, Renaissance Revival style. Law courts have a lengthwise segment-arched tiled lobby serving the Stipendiary Magistrates' Court. This and the former Sessions Court have barrel vaults with domed skylights and their original panelling and furnishings. 4 smaller courts, divided and altered c1960, have similar furnishings. Panelled Magistrates' room similar to the civic suite. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire East Riding: London: 1961-: 272; Bullock F H: Visitors Guide to The Guildhall: Hull: 1954-; Service A: Edwardian Architecture: London: 1977-: 201).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.