You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 387485  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 387485
Location: FORMER HULL HYDRAULIC POWER COMPANY PREMISES, CATHERINE STREET (east side)
  KINGSTON UPON HULL, KINGSTON UPON HULL, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 14 August 2003
Date listed: 07 March 1991
Date of last amendment: 07 March 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KINGSTON UPON HULLTA0929SECATHERINE STREET680-1/18/247(East side)

KINGSTON UPON HULL TA0929SE CATHERINE STREET 680-1/18/247 (East side) 07/03/91 Former Hull Hydraulic Power Company premises II Former works of the Hull Hydraulic Power Company, now a workshop. 1875. By Henry Robinson of London. Red brick with blue brick dressings and rendered plinth. Single storey; 4x2 windows. Windows are round-arched cast-iron glazing bar casements. Right return has a blocked door to left and a window to right. There is no separate roof, the whole building acting as support for a sectional cast-iron tank which is inscribed "Stacey Davis & Co., Phoenix Foundry, Derby". In operation, water was pumped from the River Hull into the roof tank where it was allowed to settle. It was then raised to pressure by steam pumps and supplied by underground pipes to consumers. Hydraulic power was frequently used in the oil-extracting industry and for firefighting. This undertaking was the first of its kind to be established by Act of Parliament in the UK. It was also Hull's first public utility. At its fullest extent, c1900, the system supplied about 200 consumers as far away as the Old Harbour. The operating company closed down in 1947. Hydraulic power companies operated in a similar way in a number of cities in the late C19, notably in London and Manchester. (Exhibit in Yorkshire Water Museum, Springhead, Hull; Industrial Archaelogy: Hudson, K: Hydraulic Power; Plaque on building placed by City Council).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.