© Mr John Turner
BLAYDES HOUSE, 6 HIGH STREET (east side)
KINGSTON UPON HULL, KINGSTON UPON HULL, EAST YORKSHIRE
Mr John Turner
26 May 2001
13 October 1952
Date of last amendment:
13 October 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA1029SW HIGH STREET
680-1/19/175 (East side)
House, now architects' offices. c1760, possibly incorporating
part of an earlier house. Restored 1982. Brick with ashlar
dressings, some painted, with hipped and gabled pantile roofs.
Single side wall, 2 rear wall and single gable stacks.
Rendered plinth, ground floor and first-floor sill bands,
quoins to ground floor, cornice, coped parapet. 3 storeys;
5-window range. Double depth plan with rear wing.
On the first floor, five 12-pane sashes with keystone lintels,
and above, five 6-pane sashes with plain lintels. Central
wooden portico with marble steps and a pair of Doric columns
carrying an entablature and dentillated pediment. Paired Doric
pilaster responds with entablature. Moulded doorcase with
double keystone and fielded 6-panel door. To left, a slightly
recessed single bay with blank windows below and a 9-pane
window to the second floor. Blank left return.
Right return, to Blaydes Staith, has on the first floor 2
blanks, then a 2-pane sash, all with keystone lintels. Above,
2 smaller blanks and to right, a 2-light casement. Below, 2
blanks, then a 12-pane sash, all with keystone lintels. To
right, rear wing, 2 storeys plus attics. Two 12-pane sashes on
each floor with keystone lintels. Attic has a gabled dormer
with a 2-light casement. Rear has to left a rendered gable
with a 16-pane sash and below, a C20 door and a 12-pane sash.
To right, a Venetian window with keystone, then two 12-pane
sashes. Above, 2 gabled dormers with 2-light casements. Below,
a 9-pane sash, then two 12-pane sashes.
INTERIOR has an outstanding winder stair with panelled soffit,
vase and baluster newels and ramped scrolled handrail.
Corinthian Venetian window and Rococo plaster ceiling to
stairwell. Central entrance hall has fielded panelled dado,
dentillated cornice and round arch towards stairwell. Dining
room has enriched dentillated cornice and enriched moulded
doorcase flanked by Corinthian quarter-pilasters, with foliage
trail frieze and enriched broken pediment. Tabernacle Room has
moulded wall panelling and dentillated cornice. Fireplace has
panelled eared and shouldered architrave, cornice, and
overmantel panel in similar style. On the outer wall, a recess
framed by pilasters under a segmental pediment.
This building is an important example of a merchant's house
which embodied domestic and commercial functions, and was
situated on the quayside for this reason.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York & the East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 277; Hall I: Georgian Hull:
York: 1978-1979: 14, 30, 31, 34, 59).