© Mr John Turner
WIBERFORCE HOUSE MUSEUM AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL, HIGH STREET (south east side)
KINGSTON UPON HULL, KINGSTON UPON HULL, EAST YORKSHIRE
Mr John Turner
22 April 2001
13 October 1952
Date of last amendment:
21 January 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA1028NW HIGH STREET
680-1/23/178 (South East side)
13/10/52 Wilberforce House Museum and
attached garden wall
(Formerly Listed as:
Wilberforce House Museum including
House, now museum, and attached garden wall. Built c1656 on
the site of a house of c1590, probably by William Catlyn for
the Lister family. Refenestrated and internally remodelled
c1760 for the Wilberforce family. Bought by Hull City
Corporation 1896, and opened as a museum, 1906.
Red brick with moulded brick and ashlar dressings and hipped
and gabled pantile roofs. 3 gable and 2 ridge stacks. Moulded
ground floor sill band, ground floor cornice, string course,
moulded coped parapet, rusticated front and angle pilasters.
2 storeys plus 3-storey tower porch; 9-window range of 12-pane
sashes with brick and ashlar ornaments below them. Eighth
window is a wooden framed cross casement with leaded glazing.
Between the outer pairs of windows, a bossed-out Corinthian
pilaster on a bracket. Ground floor has similar fenestration
with brick flat arches and keystones. Central tower porch has
the upper floors flanked by bossed-out Corinthian pilasters on
pedestals, and is topped with a coped parapet. On the first
floor, a 12-pane sash to the front and on either side. Above,
a similar window. Below, a round-arched moulded brick doorway
with keystone, imposts and decorated spandrels. On either
side, a round-arched niche under a pediment.
At the rear, 2 long wings, single-storey and 2 storeys, 7
windows, flanking a courtyard.
INTERIOR has to south a noteworthy cantilevered wooden dogleg
stair with ornamented vase and stem balusters and ramped
scrolled handrail. Stairwell has an elaborate dentillated
cornice and ceiling with vine trail plasterwork framing a
modelled eagle, the Wilberforce crest. Landing has a Venetian
window with an eagle crest above it with a vine trail festoon.
First floor banqueting room, mid C17, has full height
panelling with pilasters and wooden chimneypiece with
overmantel flanked by clustered columns and with the Lister
coat of arms in relief. Adjoining bedroom has framed panelling
and overmantel flanked by pilasters.
Ground floor has to right a restored C17 style panelled room
with reeded frieze and pilasters, with chamfered brick Tudor
arched fireplace and strapwork overmantel flanked by
pilasters. Room to left has moulded wooden wall panelling and
modillion cornice. Resited marble fireplace with central
relief panel and eared and shouldered overmantel with floral
swags and portrait of Wilberforce, flanked by fluted Ionic
pilasters. Moulded doorcases with fielded 6-panel doors.
Central rear room has matchboard dado to 2 walls, moulded
cornice and span beam. Adjoining room has similar moulded span
beam and cornice and late C18 marble fireplace with fluted
columns and dentillated cornice. Former saddle room, at rear,
has resited eared wall panelling and dentillated cornice.
Corniced marble fireplace with eared surround and panelled
overmantel with broken scroll pediment. 2 enriched doorcases
with swagged panels above, and fielded 6-panel doors.
Outside, attached brick garden wall with string course,
rusticated panels and moulded brick coping. Approx 20mx10m.
Central pair of brick gatepiers with bossed-out pilasters,
moulded ashlar cornices and ball finials. Renewed round-arched
This building was the birthplace of William Wilberforce, 1759,
and was used as a bank between 1784 and 1829.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York & the East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 276; Rutherford, I: History of
Wilberforce House: Hull).