© Mr John Turner
CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO AND ADJOINING PRESBYTERY, 12 AND 13 JARRATT STREET (south side)
KINGSTON UPON HULL, KINGSTON UPON HULL, EAST YORKSHIRE
Mr John Turner
14 April 2001
12 November 1973
Date of last amendment:
12 November 1973
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA0929SE JARRATT STREET
680-1/18/219 (South side)
12/11/73 Nos.12 AND 13
Church of St Charles Borromeo and
Roman Catholic church and adjoining presbytery and railings.
1829, by John Earle Jnr. Widened 1835 by JJ Scoles. Remodelled
1894 by Smith, Brodrick & Lowther, with interior decoration in
Baroque style by Immenkamp. The porch is attributed by Pevsner
to Earle and by Hall to Smith, Brodrick & Lowther.
Brick with stucco fronts and slate roofs with single rendered
ridge stack and coped gable. Classical Revival style. 2
storeys; 5 bays.
Church front has channelled rusticated basement below
guilloche band, rusticated quoins and first-floor sill band.
Slightly projecting centre defined by rusticated quoins, with
enriched dentillated pediment topped with a cross and
containing a coat of arms. 3 margin light stained-glass
windows with eared architraves and corbelled sills, separated
by long shaped brackets and flanked by pairs of similar
brackets. Below, central porch with Corinthian columns,
central block to frieze inscribed "Domus Dei", and dentillated
pediment. Panelled round-arched doorcase with keystone and a
pair of 6-panelled doors with metal grilles in the upper
panels and similar grille to overlight. On either side, a
round-arched niche containing a figure, with corbelled sill on
shaped brackets. Beyond, single 8-panel doors with fanlights
and rusticated surrounds.
Presbytery, to right, 3 storeys; 4-window range of 12-pane
sashes with moulded surrounds and keyblocks. Above, four
6-pane sashes with moulded surrounds and keystones. Below,
four 12-pane sashes with pilastered surrounds, block friezes
Outside, a rendered coped boundary wall topped with a
cast-iron lattice railing with lattice gatepiers and a single
INTERIOR has square east end lit by a glazed dome and defined
by a pair of Ionic columns set in from the arcade piers and
flanked by large figures. Elaborate sculptured altarpiece with
central tabernacle beneath crested segmental pediment on
scroll brackets. On either side, fluted double Ionic columns
with pedimented candle sconces. Beyond, on either side, a
4-bay blind arcade with figures under canopies, modillioned
cornice and inscribed frieze. Panelled tympana with dummy
balustrades. Above this, a sculpted globe with symbolic
figures under the frescoed dome. The blind arcade is returned
on each side with 6 figures and canopies.
Nave has triple arcades with paired Ionic columns and moulded
round arches with keystones and panelled archivolts. Facing
the nave, pairs of Ionic pilasters with enriched figure niches
between them. Moulded band with swags between floors.
Clerestorey has segment-headed windows with relief panels
between them. Ornate cross-beam ceiling with panelled borders
and central coffered barrel vault with cross beams, king posts
and scroll brackets. West end has a full-width panelled
gallery with octagonal cast-iron posts and and traceried
brackets. Under the gallery, a canted glazed internal porch
flanked by single panelled doors. On the gallery, to north, a
3-tower organ case.
Narrow aisles have panelled coved ceilings and pilastered
walls with major and minor cornices. North aisle has eared and
shouldered wall panels with pictures. East end has a fielded
8-panel door and above it a segment-headed stained-glass
window with enriched surround. West end has a pair of doors
with stained-glass panels. South aisle east end has apsidal
chapel with enriched dome and skylight, framed by a moulded
round arch. Round arched blind arcade with Corinthian
pilasters and keystones. Half-domed apse has frieze and altar
with standing figure. South side has an off-centre apsidal
Lady Chapel with enriched half-dome and skylight, framed by a
moulded arch. To left, a canted panelled confessional and
beyond, a figure on a bracket and an 8-panel door. To right, a
similar double confessional and beyond, a figure niche and a
figure group on a bracket. Above, 4 segment-headed
stained-glass windows. West end has a door similar to the
Fittings include panelled octagonal stone font on marble stem,
enclosed by a cast-iron railing. Traceried panelled octagonal
pulpit, painted ashlar, with steps and suspended soundboard.
Large bronze figure of saint on pedestal. Oval marble stoup on
figure bracket. Memorials include C20 wooden triptych war
memorial panel with scrolled pediment and two C19 tablets.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East
Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 271; Hall I & E: Georgian Hull:
York: 1978-1979: 62,105).