You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 387638  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 387638
Location: THE NEW THEATRE, JARRATT STREET (north side)
  KINGSTON UPON HULL, KINGSTON UPON HULL, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 14 April 2001
Date listed: 12 November 1973
Date of last amendment: 21 January 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

KINGSTON UPON HULL TA0929SE JARRATT STREET 680-1/18/220 (North side) 12/11/73 Hull New Theatre (Formerly Listed as: JARRATT STREET (North side) The New Theatre) GV II Former assembly rooms, now theatre. 1830. By J Mountain. Painted stucco. Classical Revival style. Plinth, first-floor band, moulded cornice and entablature, coped parapet. 2 storeys; 11x5 bays. Entrance front, to Kingston Square, has bays defined by giant pilasters and a central portico with 4 giant Ionic columns on pedestals. Between the columns is a late C20 transom decorated with a metal round arch in each bay. The spaces above the transom are glazed. On either side, a single blank on each floor. Within the portico, 3 blank windows and below them, 3 round-arched windows. Below these, 3 pairs of doors with segment-headed glazing. Right return, to Jarratt Street, has a projecting central feature with 4 giant engaged Ionic columns framing single blank windows on each floor. On either side, 3-bay wings defined by giant pilasters. To right, three 12-pane sashes and below them, 3 round windows. Below these, a central sash flanked by single doors, the left door smaller. The doors and the sash windows have keystone lintels. To left, 3 blank windows and below, a door to left and 2 blank windows to right, all with keystone lintels. Projecting end bays, defined by giant pilasters. To right, a 12-pane sash and below, a recessed door. To left, a single blank window on each floor. INTERIOR remodelled 1938 and 1985.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.