You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388029  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Lomas

IoE Number: 388029
Location: DALTON HALL WITH ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS, CONYNGHAM ROAD (east side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Brian Lomas
Date Photographed: 11 February 2007
Date listed: 03 October 1974
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ8595 CONYNGHAM ROAD, Rusholme 698-1/22/789 (East side) 03/10/74 Dalton Hall with attached forecourt walls (Formerly Listed as: CONYNGHAM ROAD, Rusholme (East side) Dalton Hall) GV II Hall of residence for members of the Society of Friends to attend Manchester University. 1881-2 by G.T.Redmayne. Stock brick wih red brick and sandstone dressings, some red terracotta, slate roofs with red cockscomb ridging tiles. Long range with rear wing towards south end. Three storeys with basement and attics, asymmetrical, with a gabled wing at the north end, a lower 3-window link with 3 gables, and a higher 9-window range with 4 gables, the first 2 linked and the 3rd, which breaks forwards slightly, containing the main entrance. High basement, moulded terracotta sill-bands to all floors, stone gable copings. The entrance, up a flight of steps, has a wide 2-centred arch moulded in 3 orders with a hoodmould, and a richly ornamented triptych of terracotta panels above, including the date 1881, and above this a 3-light brick-mullioned window to each floor, the lower under a segmental relieving arch and the upper in a 2-centred blank arch. To the right of the entrance is a 3-stage transomed stairwindow; otherwise, most other windows are of 3 and 4 lights with brick mullions and segmental relieving arches, those at 1st and 2nd floors of the coupled gable portion set in pilasterd giant blank arches. Attached to the entrance steps are the splayed returned ends of the forecourt wall, which has brick piers at short intervals, linked by twisted iron bars.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.