You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 38821  

Print Page

© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 38821
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 27 August 2001
Date listed: 22 March 1957
Date of last amendment: 14 December 1978
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CASTLE STREET5128(North Side)Church of St Mary(Formerly listed as

CASTLE STREET 1. 5128 (North Side) Church of St Mary (Formerly listed as Chapel of St Mary) SU 7173 SW 2/72 22.3.57. II* GV 2. Opened 1798. (Episcopalian). Architect R Billing. Originally a simple Georgian building but in 1840 the present hexastyle portico in Greek Corinthian style (fluted columns) was added to the designs of "Mr Briant" (Henry and Nathaniel Briant were prominent local architect/builders, responsible for the King Street Bank and the Royal Berkshire Hospital). Stucco with large stone pedimented portico (whose capitals probably are of Coade stone). 3 stepped doorways with architrave surrounds. The bell turret (designed by Briant and inspired from the Tower of the Winds) is now only a solid plinth with rebated corners and moulded cornice. 5 bay rave with round headed windows. This building which stands on the site of the former Reading gaol is of considerable importance to the street, One of Reading's best church interiors: late C18 galleried in 5 bays with marbled Doric ground floor and Ionic gallery columns. Modillion cornice to coved central ceiling. Raised and fielded panelling to box piers. Small projecting chancel with bay for mid C19 organ to left. 2 mid C19 cast-iron chandeliers.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.