You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388277  

Print Page



© Mr Neil Short LBIPP

IoE Number: 388277
Location: FORMER LIVERPOOL ROAD RAILWAY STATION, LIVERPOOL ROAD (north side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Neil Short LBIPP
Date Photographed: 23 May 2001
Date listed: 18 December 1963
Date of last amendment: 18 December 1963
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSJ8297LIVERPOOL ROAD698-1/18/213(North side)

MANCHESTER SJ8297 LIVERPOOL ROAD 698-1/18/213 (North side) 18/12/73 Former Liverpool Road Railway Station, and Station Master's House GV I Also known as: Museum of Science and Industry, Liverpool Road Station LOWER BYROM STREET. Passenger railway station at terminus of Liverpool and Manchester Railway, now part of museum complex. 1830, by George Stephenson for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway Company, with attached house of 1808, formerly occupied by station agent; altered. Red brick, the booking offices faced with sandstone ashlar and stucco; hipped slate roofs. Rectangular plan parallel to street, with house to left and added range of former shops to right. Classical style. The BOOKING OFFICES, which back onto an embankment carrying the railway line at 1st floor level to the rear, have a 2-storey 4-bay facade (2:1:2:1 windows), symmetrical except for the 4th bay, with channelled rustication to the ground floor, panelled pilasters to the upper floor, a moulded cornice and high parapet with cornice and blocking course. The 2nd bay (the centre of the symmetrical portion, containing the entrance to the 1st Class booking hall) breaks forward slightly, has a large square-headed doorway with an architrave of coupled pilasters, moulded cornice and blocking course surmounted by a vase-pedestal sundial, and a recessed panelled door with rectangular overlight; and at 1st floor a tripartite sashed window with a cornice. The flanking bays have 15-pane sashed windows at ground floor flanked by wide segmental-headed tripartite sashed windows with glazing bars, and 12-pane sashes at 1st floor with moulded architraves. The 4th bay, containing the entrance to the 2nd Class booking hall, has a doorway at ground floor similar to the other but with single pilasters, and a 12-pane sash above like the others. Interior: separate booking halls and staircases leading to platform. Rear: 2 doorways to the platform with moulded stone surrounds, a tripartite sashed window to the left of the 1st Class doorway and a one-light sash to the left of the other. To the east, an added hipped-roof platform canopy on slender iron columns (C20 offices with glazed screen wall inserted under this roof). The former HOUSE to the left of the booking offices, 3 storeys and 3 bays to the same height, symmetrical, has a doorway with pedimented stone architrave, sashed windows of 16 panes at ground and 1st floors and 12 panes at 2nd floor, all with raised sills and flat-arched heads, and modillioned eaves; and a double-splayed left corner to the return wall, with sashed and blind windows. To the right of the booking offices is a long 9-bay range, recently rebuilt or restored, formerly with shops at ground floor and a train shed above, which is stuccoed at ground floor, has coupled pilasters, 1st-floor sill-band, moulded cornice and high brick parapet (carried across from the booking offices), and most bays with symmetrical openings including a round-headed doorway at ground floor flanked by windows in segmental-headed blank arches, and 2 windows above. HISTORY: oldest surviving passenger railway station in the world; ceased to handle passenger traffic in 1844 (when Hunt's Bank station was opened, now Victoria Station, q.v.), but continued in use as goods station until 1975. Forms group with Old Warehouse on opposite side of railway track (q.v.).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.