You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388294  

Print Page



© Mr John Riley

IoE Number: 388294
Location: SOUTH EAST WING TO CHETHAM'S HOSPITAL (FORMER MANCHESTER GRAMMAR SCHOOL), LONG MILLGATE (west side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr John Riley
Date Photographed: 05 December 2004
Date listed: 03 October 1974
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ8398NE LONG MILLGATE 698-1/26/228 (West side) 03/10/74 South-east wing to Chetham's Hospital (former Manchester Grammar School) (Formerly Listed as: LONG MILLGATE (West side) Manchester Training College) GV II School, now part of Music School. 1873-8, by Alfred Waterhouse. Red brick with sandstone dressings (roof concealed). Rectangular plan parallel to street, forming part of east side of courtyard of Chetham's Hospital. Tudor style. Three storeys over basement, with 4-storey gate tower, 1:1:6 bays, the 2nd being the gate tower and breaking forwards slightly; with stone basement, bands between floors, and embattled parapet with coupled octagonal chimneys and corner pinnacles. The main range has tall segmental-pointed 2-light windows at ground floor, with arched lights, and 2-light sashed windows to the upper floors with shafts; the gate tower to the left has a large segmental-pointed arched doorway moulded in 4 orders with rectangular stone surround lettered "SCOLA MANCUNIENSIS 1870", a small rose window above set into the corbel of a tiered 2-storey canted oriel at 1st and 2nd floors, a mullioned 5-light window at 3rd floor, a cornice with corbel table, embattled parapet with central upstand, and a tall octagonal turret attached to the left side. To the left is a narrow bay with 2-light windows on all floors; and attached to the left of this a later addition. Rear similar. Interior not inspected.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.